cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What has caused the speed drop and line speed change...?

vimesuk
Grafter

What has caused the speed drop and line speed change...?

Hi
For months and months (going into years) my line speed has always been 62.8Mb. No issues or problems with a very very stable connection.
Out of curiosity I checked a couple of days ago and it showed 60 plus days of connection with no drop outs etc. That is typical of my line, it is just very very stable.
I have used the connection this morning to notice my download speed has been slower than usual.  I checked to see that my line has uptime of just over three hours, indicating a reconnection. Also my current line speed is now 49.8Mb.
Why has there been such a change....?
The BT line test and further diagnostics confirm the line profile has been changed to 49.99Mbps
I am connected to the Ashton exchange.
38 REPLIES 38
AndyH
Grafter

Re: What has caused the speed drop and line speed change...?

Do you have an ECI modem? I can see your exchange has Huawei cabinets, so it might be down to the introduction of retransmission.
There is also an on-going issue in Manchester at the moment which might be affecting your speeds at peak times (it won't affect your sync speed/IP profile though).
vimesuk
Grafter

Hi
Thanks for your reply.
This is what I see on the base of my modem....

do you have any more information on what you posted about retransmission and whether it could have any implications using the ECI based modem I have got...?
I have not read anything about this.
Thanks Smiley
dick:quote
AndyH
Grafter

There are a couple threads on the issue:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,136287.0.html
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,138084.0.html
No updates on it at the moment though.
What is your latency like (if you know)? Has it increased?
vimesuk
Grafter

Thanks for those Smiley
Using the word retransmission I had found one or two posts already..
I am not sure whether the latency has increased as the line conditions and speed has only just changed but looking at the speed-tests ran over the last two years or so it seems to have gone from around 12ms to 21ms - however it is still early days post apocalypse and so more testing will need to be done to see and average.
It would be good if Plusnet could confirm that work has been done which as resulted in such a speed change, perhaps noted by those with ECI based modems more than others.
I imaging that it could also mean a firmware upgrade at some stage, if that would be intended, for the ECI based modems to adapt to such a change...?
As yet I do  not know for sure what has happened but it might well be down to the changes at the exchange.
vimesuk
Grafter

Disconnected the router and then turned off the modem for around 30 mins. Still the same slower connection speed, time to ring Plusnet.
Using either the TP Link N900 or the supplied router from Plusnet makes no difference.

Huh wait times of fifteen minutes for the support team, the muzak is pooh as well..! lol
lzjoker
Dabbler

Glad it's not just me, mine is giving 22mbps throughput on a line sync of 70mbps!, this morning before i upgraded to the uncapped service was getting the full 38mbps Huh
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

@vimesuk
Your line has G.INP enabled which has caused the sync to drop and latency to be higher. We're still awaiting a update from our suppliers on this.
@lzjoker
It looks like the upgrade caused our profile to change incorrectly for some reason. If you log into your router and disconnect this should sort it.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
vimesuk
Grafter

Quote from: Matthew
@vimesuk
Your line has G.INP enabled which has caused the sync to drop and latency to be higher. We're still awaiting a update from our suppliers on this.

Thanks for letting me know and I'm glad that the issue has been identified.
Hopefully it will get resolved with a possible firmware update for the modem.
If I changed the ECI modem with a Huawei type to test it out does the modem need any settings etc applied or is that only done via the router....?
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

@vimesuk - you don't need to change any settings. I was in the same situation as you and bought an HG612 (Rev 3B) from Ebay for a tenner. You can unlock it (easy to so) and put on the SP08 firmware (there are details on all that if you need them), and it resolved my issues (took a day for the 'fix' to kick in). The HG612 doesn't need your username or password or anything, it picks up its setting from the router.
One point to note - there are sellers on ebay selling unlocked HG612 modems for a lot of money (30, 40, 50 quid). They are very easy to unlock yourself, so I suggest getting a cheaper one if you go that route.
lzjoker
Dabbler

Well i reconnected and it's still iffy:

Quote from: Matthew

@lzjoker
It looks like the upgrade caused our profile to change incorrectly for some reason. If you log into your router and disconnect this should sort it.
lzjoker
Dabbler

TAPS test:
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

That TAP3 test is very poor and it actually looks like there's capacity issues at your exchange.
Raise a fault here and we'll get onto that for you
https://faults.plus.net
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
vimesuk
Grafter

Quote from: jafreer
@vimesuk - you don't need to change any settings. I was in the same situation as you and bought an HG612 (Rev 3B) from Ebay for a tenner. You can unlock it (easy to so) and put on the SP08 firmware (there are details on all that if you need them), and it resolved my issues (took a day for the 'fix' to kick in). The HG612 doesn't need your username or password or anything, it picks up its setting from the router.
One point to note - there are sellers on ebay selling unlocked HG612 modems for a lot of money (30, 40, 50 quid). They are very easy to unlock yourself, so I suggest getting a cheaper one if you go that route.

Thanks for that Smiley
I might have paid over the odds (£20) but grabbed that modem. I will need to unlock it and then install the B030SP08 firmware.
(bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B030SP08_webgui)
Do these instructions still apply for the unlocking and install of the appropriate firmware...?

https://huaweihg612hacking.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/hg612_unlock_instructions_v1-3.pdf
thanks Smiley
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Yes, that was the instructions I used. The really nice thing about the HG612 (other than it should sort the G.Inp issue), is that you can access line stats.
There are a couple of programs (HG612 Modem Stats and DSL Stats). They give you a ton of information and allowed me to diagnose a noise issue on my line.
Just connect a network cable from the LAN2 port on the HG612 to a spare port on your TG582n router (or whatever router you have).
You should then find the HG612 at 192.168.1.1 and can point the stats software to that IP address.