cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do i need to move from ADSL+ to Fibre?

pyeomans
Dabbler

What do i need to move from ADSL+ to Fibre?

Hi folks,
Have been a plusnet member for years now, and we're thinking of moving to fibre broadband instead of ADSL (nothing wrong with the service but it is good at 13Mbs).
Question is, what do i need (or get from Plusnet/ Openreach) when i move to Fibre?
As i understand it, instead of a combined modem/ router, you get two separate boxes (modem and also router)? Is this still the case?
Our master socket is not in the same room as the router currently, and has no power socket near it to power the modem, which i guess has to be close to the master socket?
I can wire in a new socket if necessary.
I'd then have to run a cable (is this an ethernet cat 5e cable?) from the modem to the router (which will be upstairs), which then feeds into a switch i have to feed the rest of the house.
Any help on the above would be most welcome.
Thanks,
Paul
4 REPLIES 4
shure
Grafter

Re: What do i need to move from ADSL+ to Fibre?

In terms of switching all you need to do is call Plusnet and they'll sell you a package.  I would recommend not accepting their first offer and asking to be put through to retentions, who generally have more scope to offer a deal.  Haggle hard and do your homework first.  When I told them of the offer I got from BT they matched it and I ended up getting half price.
Plusnet will send you a router (if you want it) and book an engineer who will come round to your house with a modem to do the install.  I think you can opt for an extension kit at time of install (at least, I seem to remember you could for ADSL) and they will put socket where you want.  If not, being nice to your engineer helps.  My master socket was also in the hall and when an engineer came round last year to fix a fault he moved my master socket free of charge for me to a room I use as a study.  Gave me a Mk3 faceplate, too.  You could try this route before re-wiring yourself
OR will supply the modem (via the engineer) and PN will give you a router as part of your package if you want it.
pyeomans
Dabbler

Thanks for the information.  Ideally the master socket needs moving to save my having to put a new socket in. In fact the bt wire coming to the house goes past where i need it.
I dont want to run cables around inside up the stairs etc.
Its a bit of a catch 22. If i dont install a socket then you can guarantee he wont move the MS. If i do spend hours putting one in then he'll  gladly move the MS.
pyeomans
Dabbler

By the way, what type of cable is it that connects from the modem to the router? Ethernet?
shure
Grafter

yes.  ethernet cable is what you need.  If you use the PN router I think it comes with it if memory serves