cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do i need to do to get a stable connection speed with out being fobbed off all the time

oatesm
Dabbler

What do i need to do to get a stable connection speed with out being fobbed off all the time

Recently moved from Sky to Plus-net with the promise of being able to get a minimum of 40mb download speed. i signed up to Unlimited Fibre Extra, (Joke)

Yes i do get fluctuating 40mb but its more than often a lot slower, i might as well be on normal broadband. I'm getting fluctuation from 12mb to 42mb everyday and the router keeps going to the orange light.

Netflix, ps4 and mobile usage lags on numerous occasions every day. Poor internet speeds and loss of connection is a daily occurrence for me and i can see I'm not the only one. I paid an upfront charge to become a plus net customer and since signing up have read that the plus net routers aren't that good as customers have had to buy independent routers for a better WiFi signal. The tech team have answered my previous questions but not resolved the issues that I'm constantly having.

Do i have a case to cancel my subscription without penalty?.  All i want is to receive a service that I'm happy to pay for that's stable. Tech team, i don't want you to email me saying do this test on BT Performance test i have already done this. ookla always says that I'm getting lower speeds than BT. Just support your customers and resolve issues that we are having.

For what ever reason my connection isn't giving me what I'm paying for sort it. i wounder? if i start a new forum post for customers to to complain to Of com and watchdog if things change.

11 REPLIES 11
oatesm
Dabbler

Re: What do i need to do to get a stable connection speed with out being fobbed off all the time

Not as advertisedNot as advertised

ashyt16
Grafter

Re: What do i need to do to get a stable connection speed with out being fobbed off all the time

I was having all sorts of issues when I first signed up to fibre. Frequent disconnect issues. Chromecast unusable because it would just disconnect at random.

After a couple of weeks I'd had enough. Did some research and went and bought one of the Open reach modems. Connected it to my ASUS router and not had any issues since.

Basically the Plusnet router is only fit for the bin.

oatesm
Dabbler

Customer service what are we paying for 2 hours and no response from the tec team.

I didn't expect anything different.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

oatesm
Dabbler

As i posted earlier, why does plus net supply routers that aren't fit for purposes

@ashyt16 wrote:

I was having all sorts of issues when I first signed up to fibre. Frequent disconnect issues. Chromecast unusable because it would just disconnect at random.

After a couple of weeks I'd had enough. Did some research and went and bought one of the Open reach modems. Connected it to my ASUS router and not had any issues since.

Basically the Plusnet router is only fit for the bin.

oatesm
Dabbler

ashyt16
Grafter

Maybe they work OK for some, but not for me. Maybe the router equipment doesn't match the cabinet equipment?
My cab is using Huawei equipment, so I also bought the Huawei OR modem.
Not had any issues since.

Also got to remember, Plusnet is a budget broadband provider, so you can't expect them to provide top notch equipment. Something that works is sufficient.

However as far as I'm led to believe the OR equipment is high end and top notch.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Sorry that you're having issues with the speed of the service. I can see that you've previously advised of fluctuating speeds, when the speeds are poor can you run a BT Speedtest for me, ensuring you do the further diagnostics test after the first one completes. This stores the results on the supplier system and allows us to use this to report the fault.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
oatesm
Dabbler

Hi Chris

I'm still loosing connection almost everyday. The orange light comes on and after a couple of mins it starts back up.

You can imagine i'm not the most popular person in the household when the kids are on a ten kill streak on COD and the internet connection drops, or watching movies on Netflix and it stops saying we have a connection error.

I've had fibre broadband for a few months now and still got the same problems. Ii have followed all the steps in the help sections and still the connection drops out.  Can you look into this issue and report back please 

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi Oatesm,

Looks to ne like you have a fault.

I suggest the next step is to raise a formal fault investigation request with PN.

The following link takes you through a process designed to eliminate the possibility of Openreach finding a fault is inside your house or with your equipment. If Openreach find a fault "on your side" they charge PN who pass the cost on.

https://faults.plus.net/

If you are new to fibre and previously ADSL some things which can cause problems with fibre are: telephone extension leads, telephones that do not have micro filters etc.

Is the fibre router plugged into the master socket?

Regards

Richard

oatesm
Dabbler

Hi Richard,

I've probably done every check possible to be honest with you.

All my equipment is wired from the hub. the hub is connected to the master socked via a filter

Thanks for the advise i look forward to the findings

Mark

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

I can see our suppliers advised that your exchange had some capacity issues but this should be resolved now.

Are you still seeing issues?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team