Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What could have happened to my fibre broadband

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

What could have happened to my fibre broadband

Connected to fibre 9th July - with ECI modem - connection speed as tested by engineer about 48Mb/s
Unfortunately product was 40/2 not 80/20 as it should have been
Used Live Chat to get it corrected - should have been on 80/20 - modified order submitted which should change within 24 hours
Next morning 10th July - no internet just the BT wholesale IP address
Phone in and reported problem which was sent to the faults team
By Monday 13th no action so phoned in again (got through with no delay) and agent escalated it to the manager and arranged for faults to call in the afternoon
Faults called as promised and appointment arranged for this morning.
Faults engineer also advised that the DSLAM wasn't responding at all
At intervals checked to see if disconnect/reconnect would work and it didn't
Tried finally late Wednesday afternoon 15th July and was surprised to find that it connected to Plusnet
Engineer arrived this morning and disconnected the modem and connected his equipment - information from BT was that the line was still in sync.
Off to the cab for nearly an hour - returned and advised that the card had locked up
Reset it and all working except that the sync speed is now only just over 40Mb/s with a lot of interleaving
Note he changed the ECI modem for a Huawei unit
Estimated speeds are as picture
9 REPLIES 9
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Re: What could have happened to my fibre broadband

@Oldjim - would it be worth unlocking the HG612 to access the stats to get a closer look at what is going on?
I realise this might not be a preferred option since it is a brand new modem you just got. High interleaving is usually in response to errors on the line. Not sure if this is just DLM dropping the IP profile in response to frequent connections/disconnections.
There are people on this forum a lot more knowledgeable about this stuff than me, but thought it worth mentioning about getting access to the stats.
Best of luck.
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Something not right if DLM is adding high interleaving so soon after a reset, the line would have been put back into the open state and such nothing should be done for 48hrs unless the line has a big problem remaining stable in which case DLM can step in early, looks very much like another engineer visit to me.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I think he just reset the card not my connection
I won't be unlocking it but I will be installing my Billion 8800nl
Oldjim
Resting Legend

8800nl now installed with a slight speed improvement but the speed is down on the attainable so I will now leave it and see what happens
chrcoluk
Grafter

key stats we need are the error stats.
Download this tool, to make this whole process easier. (yes it works on the 8800nl)
http://www.freewarefiles.com/HG612-Modem-Stats_program_84567.html
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I am watching that - at present there are very few errors
Will start monitoring later if I need to
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Just tested the line and it's not showing many errors. I've attached a snip below. There's no obvious info on the test results showing any problems.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

From my 2 years experience of fibre speeds in the mid 40s, the speed will vary by up to 6 to 8 Mbps for no apparent reason. When it dropped from 45 to 35 a few weeks ago I reported a fault, none was found & a few days later the speeds returned to normal. Since then they've been a steady 46 D & 13 U.
Estragon
Rising Star

@tijara33
That looks like interleaving being turned on (connection speed drops by that sort of amount), and turned off when the line has looked stable for a while. Connection speed jumps again.