cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the early termination fees?

warpkid
Grafter

What are the early termination fees?

So I've posted a bit on the forum this last week since upgrading my line to Fibre and have decided that the only real way to get the service I want is to move elsewhere.
I have been with PlusNet since '09. For the last two years I was on the Fibre Unlimited service getting a decent 40 meg down and around 15 up. We then moved into an area without fibre around 4 months ago. I was told by PN when I put my house move through that I would be able to get back on Fibre as soon as it was available in my new area. Knowing that the area was due to be upgraded in Sep I agreed to a new two year contract and bit the bullet.
I currently enjoy less than 1mbps on my ADSL line so was over the moon when BT started accepting Fibre orders on our cabinet a week ago. I put my order through and was puzzled to see that the package I enjoyed at my old house only a few months ago was gone, replaced by a package that caps the upload at ADSL levels.
If I had known this would be the case when I moved I would not have agreed to a new contract. I was not told that the Fibre packages were being neutered.
I worry that leaving may be complex as I have an upgrade in progress but I would like to know the cost involved.
Sorry about the ranting on the forum. I don't enjoy it. Hence why I just want to cash in my chips and go elsewhere (if I can afford it). Sick of complaining.
12 REPLIES 12
deathtrap
Grafter

Re: What are the early termination fees?

What is the  BT FTTC speed estimate for your current address/line If you are able to get speeds closer to the advertised 76mbps then maybe getting the 80/20 FTTC option would be better?
warpkid
Grafter

Attached.
As my Low Speed is below 40 I am unable to get the 80/20 package. So although my line can possibly do 56 down, 11 up I will be capped to 40 down and 2 up.
warpkid
Grafter

And I'm out!
Order placed with Sky broadband. 92 pounds to get out of my plusnet contract. Sky have offered me 40 meg down and 10 up.
And so ends 6 years of custom.
Ciao!
To be fair everyone I dealt with at PN was nice and as helpful as they could be. It's just a shame that decisions higher up have effected the quality of the service in recent times
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: warpkid
Attached.
As my Low Speed is below 40 I am unable to get the 80/20 package. So although my line can possibly do 56 down, 11 up I will be capped to 40 down and 2 up.

Whilst that is true if you go by conventional means if you had asked on the forum for one of the CRT to take a look they would have been able to override  the system and put you on the 80/20 manually as long as the top of the Estimate range was over 40Mb which yours clearly is.
anyway it doesn't matter now as you have chosen to go else where, I wish you luck with Sky. 
warpkid
Grafter

Someone said they would look into it and then I heard nothing more.
I tweeted support yesterday and asked again about it and they said it was impossible.
I did try
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Like i said if you go via conventional means you get no help plusnet Support is conventional means they mostly read off scripts and wont deviate from them at least that's the impression i get from dealing with them the first tier at least, It's best dealing with CRT they do a excellent job but it's waiting around for one of them to show up on the forums which sad to say is less and less these days another part of the cut backs it seems so i can see why you chose not to wait any longer.
As i Said previously i wish you good luck with Sky hopefully you get the service both connection wise and CS wise that your looking for.   Smiley
mlmclaren
Grafter

The forums are not an official means of contacting Plusnet's CRT... so the only choice the common customer is left with is spending the best part of the day on hold hoping to get someone experienced and not fresh in the seat with minimal training and a script.
The fact is Plusnet shouldn't be able to choose the products available to people, I can't help feeling like this new system is a way of diverting custom, it certainly doesn't make sense to offer a crap entry level product and then say "no you can't have the upper class product" ... "your not worthy"  Grin
Anyway, the OP made the right choice getting away from two evils and I wish them look.
warpkid
Grafter

Thanks for the feedback guys.
I did get a reply from an elusive member of the PN team but then he didn't follow up.
It's costing me almost 100 quid to get out of contract and no doubt weeks of downtime and hassle but unless customers vote against these stupid packages and policies nothing will change.
The only option available to me was to either wait and hope one day someone would upgrade me on PN if I moaned enough, or go elsewhere.
warpkid
Grafter

Also, the person I spoke to on retentions didn't ask why I want to get out of a two year contract early and made no effort to stop me!
Was a bit weird really. If he had offered to upgrade me to 80 / 20 at that point I would have said yes.
mlmclaren
Grafter

The upgrade to 80/20 doesn't seem to be possible on there systems and the guys on here are using some work around to do the upgrades, but I assume they may be told to stop that soon...
If it was just a mistake then it would of been sorted by now but it does seem that isn't the case...
Could I ask if you plan to pay the early termination charges or are you going to contest them?
warpkid
Grafter

I'll just pay I reckon.
I'm sure legally I would have no position to ask for money back.
I just want to get Fibre sorted and as soon as possible and for the best speeds my line can do. Just a shame its such hard work!
mlmclaren
Grafter

You can still transfer your line and then deal with the bill later... you ust place an order with your new provider, they will take over the line and then Plusnet will issue a bill for early termination costs, at this point you can then fight the charges.