cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What a fool

Crepaco

What a fool

I can’t believe I have just signed up again. The previous contract gave me unbearable times with broadband speed. But since I have renewed the speed has gone unbelievably slow. Very rarely getting above 10gb?
7 REPLIES 7
agedgopher
All Star
Fixes: 15

Re: What a fool

I think that most people would be absolutely delighted to get speeds anywhere approaching 10gb!

Have you made a typo?

flanzm
Pro

Please can you post your router stats here (you can get stats from the hub one if you visit http://192.168.1.254 then click troubleshooting, and then help desk) and we will try and help you diagnose what is wrong with your connection. 

It's the following items we are interested in:

5. DSL uptime: x days, xx:xx:xx
6. Data rate: xx / xx
7. Maximum data rate: xx / xx
8. Noise margin: xx / xx
9. Line attenuation: xx / xx
10. Signal attenuation: xx / xx

Your poor speed is unlikely to be anything to do with PlusNet as nearly all ISP's use Openreach infrastucture, which is likely to be your problem.

Have you tried connecting directly to the master socket test socket (thereby removing your home extension wiring ?)  Can you also post your stats when connected directly into the test socket.

Crepaco

Morning.
I have the router plugged directly into the master socket.
Plus I don’t have any phones plugged in.
Details are.
DSL uptime: 28days, 21:18:23
6. Data rate: 3352/22372
7. Maximum data rate: 3449/26138
8. Noise margin: 6.3 / 9.2
9. Line attenuation: 44.6 / 28.5
10. Signal attenuation: 33.7 / 23.1
flanzm
Pro

From what I can see your connection is actually performing pretty well, and is really stable with a 28 day uptime!

Your line attenuation is 28.5db, which probably means you are at least 1km away from your FTTC cabinet.  As you will see from this https://nbnmyths.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/fttn-speed-graph.gif graph you are actually getting better speeds than one might expect for such a long line.

You are currently syncing at 22372 with a 9db noise margin, in theory DLM could decide to push the line harder and you might get 26138 with a 6db margin, but I suspect given the long line distance it's decided not to lower the margin further as that would increase the errors, and therefore decrease stability.  You could ask PlusNet to look to reset the line, and force it onto a default 6db margin, which would give you 4Mbps more sync speed, but with a less stable connection.

Given that you are probably getting the best you can from the physcial line, what is the actual problem you are experiencing.  Is it an issue with speedtesters ?  If so you need to be aware that the maximum you will get is 96.8% of your sync speed - so in your case your best speedtest should be around 21.6Mbps download when on a wired connection.  Obviously if you are on a Wifi connection your mileage will vary considerably for a whole range of reasons (router, building design, devices etc).  What speeds are you getting ?

Crepaco

Good afternoon.

My speeds are between 6mbs to 15mbs on a good day.

The problems I am experiencing is frustratingly slow speeds
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Together with our network partners at Openreach we will try to provide you with the best speeds possible. If you feel this is not the case, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
flanzm
Pro

Am I correct in thinking this is via Wifi, and not wired ? (as you should be getting around 20Mbps when wired).

It's important you distinguish between speed over Wifi, which is affected by local factors and what you get when wired (via ethernet cable).