cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Does Fibre Installation involve?

squiggley
Hooked

What Does Fibre Installation involve?

Just signed up to fibre, customer service was a bit vague about the installation.
Do BTOpenreach still install a separate modem and then the PN router?
How many plug sockets do I need. Despite house being a new build there's still a lack of power sockets and none next to the Master socket.
Thanks
13 REPLIES 13
shure
Grafter

Re: What Does Fibre Installation involve?

OR will bring and install the modem (i.e. plug it in and make sure there's a signal).  PN will send you a router in the post a few days before your install is due.  You will need an electrical socket for both the modem and the router (i.e. two).
nblackburn
Dabbler

If you have, or can get hold of, a VDSL modem (such as a BT Home Hub 5) then the engineer won't need to install the Openreach modem (it would save you a plug!). They'll just swap your line at the cabinet then come into your property to do a line test.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Another option that may help: the Plusnet supplied router can be up to 100 metres away from the modem if you buy a long Ethernet cable to replace the one supplied.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Another point: If you have an existing router there's no reason why it can't be reconfigured to work with the PN service. The only time this might not be a good idea is if your new connection runs at something high (like greater than 60Mb/s perhaps). A cheap, old, router may not be fast enough to handle that so could become a bottleneck.
gwyndy
Dabbler

I've just booked my changeover from ADSL2+ to Fibre  Cheesy
As I understand it, the engineer:
1: Visits the conventional street cabinet to connect the copper pair from the customer’s premises to a board that connects to the nearby fibre street cabinet (containing the DSLAM fibre broadband equipment)
2: Installs a master socket with a faceplate filter (or fits a faceplate filter to the existing master socket).
He should then:
3:  Install a FTTC (VDSL2) modem - however, as I have a Home Hub 5 he won't need to do that.  Wink
PlusNet have arranged for the engineer to install an extra VDSL socket FOC as part of the package, but I'm not sure whether I will be needing that.
squiggley
Hooked

Does the HomeHub 5 need to be plugged into the master socket?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Either the master socket or a dedicated VDSL extension socket.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

An additional query for someone who is also awaiting a fibre upgrade. I get gwyndy's sequence of events, but when in the process does the existing ADSL get disconnected at the exchange?
I am assuming that the engineer disconnects ADSL at the exchange before going to the street cab to connect up the FTTC link. As the two are about 3km apart I am expecting ADSL to go down about 20-40 minutes before the FTTC is connected. Is that right or is there quicker switch?I already have a Fibre capable router (Billion 8800NL and faceplate) - bought to improve my ADSL SNR. If I switch the router configuration in the gap - am I good to go?
As FTTC is new to the village and several ( lots!) of us have anticipated installations in the same week - probably multiple on the same day - will the engineer disconnect a batch of ADSL, then go to the street cab and connect up the batch or is it strictly one job at a time with him driving backwards and forwards  between the cab and the exchange?
nblackburn
Dabbler

Quote from: wisty
An additional query for someone who is also awaiting a fibre upgrade. I get gwyndy's sequence of events, but when in the process does the existing ADSL get disconnected at the exchange?
I am assuming that the engineer disconnects ADSL at the exchange before going to the street cab to connect up the FTTC link. As the two are about 3km apart I am expecting ADSL to go down about 20-40 minutes before the FTTC is connected. Is that right or is there quicker switch?I already have a Fibre capable router (Billion 8800NL and faceplate) - bought to improve my ADSL SNR. If I switch the router configuration in the gap - am I good to go?
As FTTC is new to the village and several ( lots!) of us have anticipated installations in the same week - probably multiple on the same day - will the engineer disconnect a batch of ADSL, then go to the street cab and connect up the batch or is it strictly one job at a time with him driving backwards and forwards  between the cab and the exchange?

When I was upgraded the engineer phoned me from the cabinet to say I'd lose my phone and ADSL connection. After about ten minutes I was reconnected and he phoned again to say he'd be at my house in a few minutes, so I think everything was done at the cabinet.
Quote from: gwyndy
I've just booked my changeover from ADSL2+ to Fibre  Cheesy
As I understand it, the engineer:
1: Visits the conventional street cabinet to connect the copper pair from the customer’s premises to a board that connects to the nearby fibre street cabinet (containing the DSLAM fibre broadband equipment)
2: Installs a master socket with a faceplate filter (or fits a faceplate filter to the existing master socket).
He should then:
3:  Install a FTTC (VDSL2) modem - however, as I have a Home Hub 5 he won't need to do that.  Wink
PlusNet have arranged for the engineer to install an extra VDSL socket FOC as part of the package, but I'm not sure whether I will be needing that.

You can use your existing master socket and filter, although you should get a slightly better speed with a VDSL face plate.
b1ggles
Grafter

A good reason to use the OpenReach modem with separate router is when/if you want to make changes to the router that requires a reboot you don't mess your DLM up.
Secondly, it also allows you to find the best position for wifi coverage rather than up against an outside wall where most of the signal just buggers up your neighbours wifi like they do yours.
deathtrap
Grafter

Engineer install for FTTC
Re-jumper  the D side pair at PCP
Visit installation address
Supply BT OR modem (2 brands available ECI and Huawie) the latter being unlockable for stats and fully G.inp compatible,
Supply & fit BT SSFP ( filtered faceplate) to the existing NTE master socket ,+ supply & fit Data extension (home wiring solution, were ordered) test line and connect modem
Is what plusnet order
engineer install with modem
squiggley
Hooked

Quote from: squiggley
Does the HomeHub 5 need to be plugged into the master socket?

I'll  elaborate a bit more, house is a three storey town house with lounge upstairs in the middle of the house, and provides wifi  evenly throughout the other homes upwarda and downwards.Presently the adsl router is plugged into the phone extension (which has plug sockets next to it) provided when house was built.

Master socket is in the hallway but has no readily available power sockets, is small and has a good chance of being sent flying when the kids come home swinging they school bags or drenched when the dog come back wet from its walks.
If the HomeHub 5 could replace the adsl router in the lounge it would be ideal without additional cabling it would be ideal. If now looks like it will have to be the hallway, probably up high
Thanks
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

the homehub5 can be plugged into an extension, providing that extension is wired up to the filtered plug on the master socket.
it's easy enough to do and the OR engineer may wire up it for you if you ask nicely enough.