Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome increase

Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Welcome increase

This post is somewhat sarcastic but.........
When I was upgraded to fibre the BT engineers did what they could to increase my speed as it was below the estimate. No success, and for about a year I have had about 17Mbps down and 2 Mbps up.
My next door neighbour, we share the pavement connection box, has recently upgraded to fibre with BT Infinity and my connection has now jumped to 28Mbps down 4Mbps up.
Coincidence ?
Let's be careful out there !
8 REPLIES 8
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Welcome increase

I don't understand what you are trying to suggest. Are you implying that BT openreach has given your neighbour special service that they wouldn't give you?
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

Sort of.
He complained to BT that he wasn't getting the advertised speed and they seem to have responded more proactively to his complaint. When I complained they did look but put it down to degrading alluminium cable so nothing they could do.
Andrue
Pro

Quote from: Kremmen
He complained to BT that he wasn't getting the advertised speed and they seem to have responded more proactively to his complaint.
If your neighbour was with AAISP I could believe more pressure being put on the engineers (or at least AAISP doesn't take to being fobbed off so might just book another engineer) but if your neighbour is with BT Infinity then 'pot luck' is all I can suggest.
What does puzzle me though is how work on your neighbour's line can improve yours. There's not all that much in common between the two. Perhaps the junction box was partially flooded (I've had that myself) or maybe a fault in the cabinet that required several lines to be reconnected.
Whatever the reason I don't think there's any need to be particularly suspicious about it. Just be happy Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Shared cable from CAB to pavement box swapped from aluminium to copper?
Quote from: Kremmen
He complained to BT that he wasn't getting the advertised speed and they seem to have responded more proactively to his complaint. When I complained they did look but put it down to degrading alluminium cable so nothing they could do.

Seems to confirm that for Plusnet users, Plusnet being part of the BT group is a disadvantage as they won't kick up a fuss to the same extent as other ISPs.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Andrue
Pro

Quote from: spoon
I'd be amazed if someone got Openreach to do that though.
Surely they'd need to replace the entire cable bundle serving that property. That would mean disconnecting and reconnecting the entire street at both ends and of course there's the cost of blowing the cable (if they can blow copper bundles) and the cable itself.
It would explain the improvement at least in principal but surely would cost tens of thousands of pounds.
Terranova667
Pro

Quote from: spoon

Openreach wont replace Aluminium for copper I asked when the Engineer that came to fix my issues discovered that my line as well as the entire area was Aluminium, even though he agreed it should be ripped out and replaced unless the line completely dies or i was willing to pay the cost myself  which would run in the thousands i wouldn't get it replaced with Copper no matter how badly the line would degrade.    
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

Sorry for not replying sooner. I wanted to see if it was a temporary increase.
My stats are now in the 28Mbps down and 5Mbps up.
The engineer did do some thorough tests when I had mine installed and the info was that:
58Mbps being pushed out of the fibre cabinet.
26Mbps being received at my local 100 connection pavement cabinet on a 800 metre ally cable.
20Mbps being received at the pavement box immediately outside my house also ally from the 100 box (100 metres).
19Mbps being received at my master socket (copper line to house)
My neighbour gets BT Infinity and all of a sudden I get this speed increase from an actual Speedtest.net reading of 17Mbps to 28Mbps.
Obviously I have no complaint but all I can think of is that they have boosted the fibre cabinet above the 58Mbps it was ?
Terranova667
Pro

58Mb being pushed out of the cab doesn't sound right the cab should be pushing out the maximum 80Mb but then drop due to your line distance to the cab etc, for example when the engineer came to try and sort out my issue he stated the maximum availability on the cab was 105Mb the cab was pushing out 80Mb ( the max that openreach allow) and that the speed once it hit the Ali line started to drop to my current 47Mb when it got to my home.  i'm about 480m away from the cab and about 38m from the connection point in the street all is Ali sadly  Sad
so yeah it sounds like the Engineer maybe reset the cab so it was pushing out the right amount but i don't see how that would increase your speed,  when the cab was pushing out 58Mb you were still only getting 17Mb a change to 80Mb being pushed out the cab wouldn't make a difference I would have thought but i'm not technical enough on such matters to know if it does.