Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird speed results.

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Weird speed results.

Ok, now I've had enough. Another speed test this morning on a wired connection, new router and filter....

Speed2.jpg

It says 'Max achievable speed' 15.6??  Is someone trying to wind me up? Bottom line reads...

"We were unable to identify any performance issues with your service at this time"

That's a load of bovine manure, it's an 80/20 connection. Or is this (like a few more ISP's) a way of stretching things out until the cooling off period has expired and ties me into a contract?  Ticked_off  

Here's the router stats...

1. Product name: Plusnet Hub
2. Serial number: +081441+NQ74404079
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2 Last updated Unknown
4. Board version: Plusnet Hub One
5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 00:29:11
6. Data rate: 2941 / 16110
7. Maximum data rate: 2843 / 20373
8. Noise margin: 6.1 / 6.8
9. Line attenuation: 43.8 / 18.1
10. Signal attenuation: 39.0 / 15.7
11. Data sent/received: 21.0 MB / 104.4 MB
12. Broadband username:
13. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
17. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:
18. 5 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
19. 5 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
20. 5 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
21. Firewall: Default
22. MAC Address: a0:39:ee:59:47:94
23. Modulation: G.993.2 Annex B
24. Software variant: AA
25. Boot loader: 1.0.0

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2 | Last updated Unknown

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Something very wrong there, your connection has gone from69Mbps the other day down to 16.

How is your phone line?Have you done a quiet line test? 17070 option 2

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

@Mustrum

Hi and thanks for looking. Yes, phone line seems fine..no hiss, crackle or other noise that I can hear. But this happened since upgrading to 80/20 last week and I've had nothing but grief since.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Mustrum
Community Veteran

The upgrade should not have affected the line. Did you get the full 38/10 before the upgrade?

Either way, if you have not done so already, it needs a fault raised. Did you say you have changed the router? 

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

@Mustrum

Yes, new router and filter replaced. Engineer came out a couple of days ago after I raised a fault and said there isn't a fault His tests showed 76/20 and advised that the router needed replacing ( hence new router). On the 38/10 I was getting 37/9.3 and stable.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Your last BTW test shows that DLM has reduced your max speed down to just above 16isj, so well below your minimum, so PN should be getting another engineer out if that fault is still open, if not you need another fault opening.

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

I'll do that as soon as I get back. I have to go out for a couple of hours. I really am getting ticked off with it, I know there's a fault somewhere but engineer says not. By the way, tests were done wired and into the only socket in the house, the socket was checked when I first ordered broadband and engineer tested it again when he came out.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Can only agree, raise another ticket. But before doing so, have you checked with new cables on all the equipment?

Seems strange the engineer was getting near full speed.

What would bother me is your first sync showed: 

Data rate: 15960 / 57675
7. Maximum data rate: 15967 / 56308
8. Noise margin: 6.0 / 5.9

i..e your router was synced at 56Mb. To be getting much less would seem to point to an internal fault.

I just wonder if DLM has reduced your sync speed. I take it you haven't been connecting, disconnecting a lot. DLM doesn't like that. Best to leave alone for a couple of days and let it settled. As to threats to move on, not certain what you'd achieve. The internet still comes down the same set of wires, if you get my drift. 

I also take the BT checker with a pinch of salt. I've had so many different speed results over the years from it. Most times it tends to say I've a 3-5mb upload, when in fact I average a good 17Mb. I tend to not only just use that but others; ookla, thinkbroadband are just a couple that spring to mind. Have you tried a speedtest using your mobile via WiFi?

You could always do worse than download the JackDinns  DOWNLOAD JDAutoSpeedTester

I run it quite frequently. Seems to be quite good. You can even get it running every couple of mins. All uploads, downloads, ping, and jitter results are saved. Looks like JD1.jpg

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Pete11
Seasoned Pro

Been on chat, and a ticket is still open (and hopefully monitored). Let's hope it's sorted soon. From the chap on chat it seems there's a fault either at the exchange or the line (although he says the socket may need looking at).  

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

Had a phone call today from Plusnet but I was out. Lady left a message on the phone to say engineer to make a 2nd visit but didn't say when or what time, so it seems I'm locked into staying at home for don't know how long. What a nice way of saying "We are glad you stayed and upgraded, now have some grief while we get it sorted" Thanks a lot.

My 14 days aren't up yet...

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

Here's the latest speed result...or should I say tortoise result.

Speed5.jpg

I'm surprised none of the staff have picked this up. 

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Is there not any info on a ticket in the member centre ?

You normally have to give them times and dates before they send out an engineer.

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

@Mustrum

I got nothing except for the phone call. And on looking through other posts, I'm not the only one. Some have not been notified and missed the engineer..others have stayed in waiting for an engineer that didn't show up. The engineer that turned up a few days ago came without warning and out of the blue said there wasn't a fault except maybe the router. PN sent another router and the problem still persists, and on 'chat' the guy said there is a problem because of the sudden drop in speeds and a DLM drop from 69 to 16...a point that was picked up by another helpful person replying to this very problem (sorry but I have forgot who that was). So, Engineer says there isn't a problem, guy on 'chat' says there is a problem and I'm in the middle trying to sort a problem that's baffling me.

So far I have..

Installed new router,

replaced filter with a new one,

replaced Ethernet cable.

The only thing not replaced from socket is the socket itself, but then engineer says there isn't a problem at the socket. It makes no wonder why I'm going grey.  Undecided

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

Finally got something added to my ticket on this,but I don't understand any of it...

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEU25206888

Test Outcome Fail
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_1625
Description Impairment in copper joint detected most likely in local network. Please continue to submit a trouble report
Main Fault Location LN
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 53.7 Mbps
Upstream Speed 13.4 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised Y
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 506.2
Upstream Rate Assessment Low
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed on Weekends
Service Impact Retrains Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From 13:15 to 13:30
Interference Location Customer Premise
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2018-01-11T17:00:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 16.1 Mbps 74.0 Mbps 31.4 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 1.8 Mbps 20.0 Mbps 6.8 Mbps
Up Time 186.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 888.9 Sec
Retrains 0.0 29.0 0.4
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2018-01-16T09:04:29.597+00:00 2018-01-16T09:19:29.597+00:00
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

Seems that GEA test ?  FAIL. And how can it be in sync at 53.7 and 13.4 when it's an 80/20 connection? Looking at Parameters Min, Max and Average, shouldn't it be in sync for those speeds?

This bit also doesn't make sense to me...

Interference Location Customer Premise
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Pete11
Seasoned Pro

Finally got somewhere. Engineer just left and apparently there is no space in the cabinet to upgrade to 80/20. Surely this should have been checked before trying to upgrade. Anyway, I have now been downgraded back to 40/10 until space is available. The speed problem is because it's trying to put an 80/20 where it won't go.

It's been an expensive learning curve and probably won't be reimbursed anything.

Thanks for all who have tried to help with this, I really do appreciate it.  Thumbs_Up