Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird fault on mums Plusnet Fibre Broadband

izzieobrien
Dabbler

Weird fault on mums Plusnet Fibre Broadband

Hiya

Was wondering if I could pick the brains of some of you more technically minded than me as I am faced with a conundrum I have no come across before.

My mum recently moved to the same area as me and so has taken up Plusnet fibre broadband. All ok, speed is ok, all connected, done. Only thing is, she is getting some odd connection issues with apps.

A few times a day, apps on phones/tablets, like Gmail, Facebook, Whatsapp, stop working. It's like they think they have no internet access, despite the device being connected to wifi and the router showing no errors. But when you open a browser app (such as chrome) on the mobile device, you can navigate to the mobile page fine.

This problem is also affecting media streamers, like her Now TV box. The only thing that helps is waiting about 10 minutes, when it will suddenly realise there is a connection and carry on as normal again.

The only thing that seems to help is restarting the router, despite the internet connection seemingly being fine in browser. I also am worried about restarting her router too often as I was told turning it off too often could make it look like there's a fault and lower her speed?

Anywho, let me know if I need to clarify anything and if you know what I could do to fix this.

1 REPLY 1
Malcky
Grafter

Re: Weird fault on mums Plusnet Fibre Broadband

Sounds a bit odd this one.....one things for sure though, don't keep rebooting the router as that can mess up the connection.

Im assuming you have checked that all the devices in question are connected to the correct wifi and are within range of the router too?  If it was only one device having an issue, I might have simply uninstalled the app and then re-installed it but as you have said its a few devices then I reckon it must be something else.

What modem or router is your mum using as this might help others to fault find for you?