cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird anomaly.

fred77
Rising Star

Weird anomaly.

Ok. This seems weird to me. Always had about 36mbps down and 6mbps up. Fine for me. Checked today again as I do most days and have got these speeds/figures.

Wifi on my phone shows 36.30mbps down and 6.54 up. (Normal)

My BT HH6 stats show 39.22 down and 6.76 up...(Normal)

My PC is connected to a powerline adapter to the router. Has always shown best speed to router.

My TV shows 15mbps giving me 4k picture, using powerline adapter...(Normal)

My PC now shows 4.20mbps down and 6.01 up, Ping 21...(Not at all normal)

BT Wholesale shows 5.76 down and 6.01 up, Ping 38.63....(Not normal)

So bottom line is wifi is fine, powerline fine to TV but not my PC and importantly BT Wholesale checker is showing very poor downspeed, as is my PC!

(BTWC shows my IP profile as about 36mbps down.....normal)

(Data rate:

6.76 Mbps / 39.22 Mbps

6850 / 46139

6.1 dB / 5.6 dB

24.7 dB)

Is this weird or can someone/Plusnet supply an an answer?

Any help gratefully received.

John

3 REPLIES 3
fred77
Rising Star

Re: Weird anomaly.

OK. Problem is resolved. Switched off and back on powerline adapter to my PC and back to normal speeds on PC. Checked BT  Checker and that is showing "normal" speeds,i.e. 37 down and 6 up. Still seems a bit weird to me that switching on and off my powerline adapter has made the BT Checker accurate again. 

This is all a "Black Art" to me!

John

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Sorry to hear you've had issues John, but I'm glad to hear that you've got it sorted now.

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I've had this issue with powerline units. We found my sons pc connected by powerline units was slow, and speed check showed 6mb, rather than the usual 50mb. A power down cured it, and we have taken to switching both off when not being used, as they are currently only for that 1 pc. Everything else is wireless or direct ethernet. Maybe someone can explain