Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weekend Broadband Activation

mariar98
Dabbler

Weekend Broadband Activation

Hiya,

So I placed my order for fibre broadband on the 26th, my phoneline is now set up and I've received my router- but I was wondering if the broadband will be set up before the activation date. The date it's meant to be done by is midnight on Monday (the 7th).

I've read that it usually only takes a week to activate so almost two weeks seems really long? Can broadband be activated on the weekend, or is it only done during weekdays? And is there any way it can be done before the activation date?

22 REPLIES 22
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Weekend Broadband Activation

FTTC activation requires an engineer to visit the cabinet to make a change.

The waiting time relates to engineer availability. For the minimum period it simply gives OpenReach time to plan the work. If there is a problem with an engineer not being available then the wait may be longer.

Brian

mariar98
Dabbler

As far as I'm aware my building already has fibre (I live in a flat), most people in my building already use BT fibre or talktalk. So I was never told anything about FTTC activation, as I'm assuming the building is already connected?

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

An engineer will still need to visit the cab to do the work needed to provide the FTTC service on your phone line.

mariar98
Dabbler

Rightt, so basically no it won't be activated before Monday? 

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Basically yes - its not likely that an engineer (who do work on Saturday mornings) will have been out to it today.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@mariar98 Just to answer an earlier point - the Fibre only goes as far as the cabinet (Fibre to the Cabinet) the internet is then delivered to you via a telephone line. So do you have a telephone line? Is it working? And has your router arrived? Just saw you had after I posted!

mariar98
Dabbler

Yeah, plusnet setup the phone line the other week- honestly I haven't actually bought a phone to plug into it yet (I'm not much of a landline person) so I'll just have to assume it works.

The reason I thought the broadband might be activated early is that we already have a BT phone line and the building has fiber so there's less to setup (kind of?). I guess I'll just wait it out and hope it is actually activated on Monday aha
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there,

It looks like the work was planned to take place yesterday, but it was missed by our suppliers. It's scheduled in for today, so I'd expect the order to complete and your account to activate at any point up to midnight.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mariar98
Dabbler

Thanks,

The broadband light is flashing red now, still no word of activation though. But I assume that's a good(ish) sign and it'll be up soon
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

@mariar98

Personally I would turn the electric off to the router.

Give it 10 seconds

Turn it back on

Make a cup of tea.

By the time you are drinking the tea it might have all come good.

This was my experience with installs. A power cycle was needed.

I am the satisfied customer....
mariar98
Dabbler

Ah I've done that already, it made no difference. Still haven't received any word of activation so I've just switched it off for now haha
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I come bearing good news. Your order has completed and I've just manually pushed the activation through on our side. Once you power your router on you should be able to connect.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

If you look at https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ does it show any open orders?

There must have been one as @Gandalf gave it a nudge Thumbs_Up

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I doubt it, because the order is complete. Roll_eyes

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet