cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Websites struggling to connect - Is there a fix?

ivandamnjanovic

Re: Websites struggling to connect - Is there a fix?

Ok. 

If there is more than one person reporting the same problem, also every single one is telling that the problem they have is the same either wireless or wired connection, I do not think it is possible to conclude that problem is between device and the router. Also it seems that it is not the problem with Plusnet DNS servers. The only possible conclusion would be that the problem is between these two points, i.e. the router itself.

Now, let's try to find solution (which is not avoid looking into the problem for the next two weeks).

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

The problem with this thread is that everyone isn't necessarily reporting the same symptoms. There are subtle, but important, differences in some cases.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

ivandamnjanovic

There is a reason why they are all coming to the same thread. If you look for commonalities in the symptoms they are reporting you will find solution, looking for differences is only good for excuses...
1. It all started 1-2 months ago - was there a software update that caused it?

2. Reset to factory settings makes it working again, but it slowly connection slowly gets worse and in couple of hours it needs to be reset again. Is there any buffer or similar and then it gets full over time?

3.  Even 192.168.1.254 becomes unresponsive.

I called technical support and solution was to send me new router. I hope this will help, but I am not too sure as I am afraid it is software related problem...

Please disregard above if you find it unhelpful, these are just my thoughts what could go wrong, but with very limited information.

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Just reading through this thread from my notifications as it started doing this again last night for me and today, I honestly don't know what to suggest and the whole DNS changing thing is way too complicated for the regular user, it's just too confusing and too much to do every time, specially when (if) you have to do it on individual devices too?

I do wonder if it's a software issue which others have mentioned as it's only been since I made this thread the problem has occurred, I've been with Plusnet quite a while now (and they're great!!) but I do hope that this can be resolved soon.

I'm also hoping that Wi-Fi also gets a huge improvement at some point soon as I'm struggling with this often also which is needed for my mum and brother in the other rooms (my mum can't even watch her TV lately so I need to sort that out).

Plusnet have been absolutely fantastic to me so I'm probably going to have to invest in something at some point soon, it's just obviously a money thing that's all to do so but would be great!

If anyone has any suggestions other than the BT Hub (I do want to use Plusnet's equipment) that would be much appreciated. I've been looking at Wi-Fi boosters but have no idea which is best. 

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Just to add this is obviously a serious issue that Plusnet really needs to address because it's causing problems with sending payments.

Obviously with things like this it's VERY important because it can mess with people's money, specially if things pay twice or don't pay at all causing people late payment charges etc..

I do feel Plusnet need to try fix this as a priority as it has been on and off for a while now, 24th March was when I posted this thread and as you can see it's happening to a lot of people.

It messed up a payment for me once before and it's just done it again now, luckily the payment didn't go through and I managed to pay successfully second time round but again this is a very important issue that needs fixing I feel.

Look.

Plusnet Payment Error.jpg

roverpoulter

Adding my experience to the thread. I'm working from home and am dependent on Microsoft Teams and O365/Onedrive. Up to 15/10/20 all these were working fine on my work laptop (a Dell Windows 10 machine) never had any problems with PlusNet. Then wake up and log on on 16/10/20 and I can no longer access anything that needs to go through to a Microsoft hosted service.

I can use Google Chrome to open and browse to any other site, but if I try to go to Microsoft.com it times out. OK, so I'll try my personal MacBook - same issue, can't reach Microsoft.com. OK - I'll try the Outlook app on my iPhone - can't refresh the inbox over WiFi (but can over 4G). My wife is also working from home with a work laptop (different company) and same issue on Teams and O365. There is no commonality in Firewall or Anti-Virus setups.

The one work around I have found is to install a VPN application on my MacBook and then I have no issues accessing all the Microsoft services.

I spoke at length to PlusNet support who advised me to contact Microsoft as it must be an issue their end (anyone else heard of Microsoft blocking a specific household?). I've asked for the issue to be escalated.

Currently still experiencing the issue if anyone monitoring this thread from PlusNet wants to check it out?

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@roverpoulter  This is a known issue, have a look at this thread

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Unable-to-access-any-Microsoft-sites/td-p/1771295 

It appears to be related to the public IP address that you are allocated by Plusnet some will not connect to Microsoft sites. 

Not sure if Plusnet are fixing it, the usual advice is disconnect and restart the router, you may get a different IP address ( or you may not) or pay £5 for a static IP address, again this may or may not solve the problem. 

roverpoulter

@RealAleMadrid - Thanks for the heads up. I powered down the BTopenreach box and router for 1.5 hours initially to see if it would clear (up time before then must have been months) with not change. Then powered both down again overnight and restarted in the morning of the 17/10/20 - still not change.

I'll link to the other thread and monitor the situation - For it to stop working for so many suggests something has changed on the PN side so should be easy to track?