cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Websites struggling to connect - Is there a fix?

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Websites struggling to connect - Is there a fix?

I understand there may be a lot to catch up on at Plusnet at the moment so if you can just get back to me when you get time. 

It's just I've noticed lately that websites are being very slow to connect and timing out, I just leave it on the browser as it continues to try connect where I'll get a "This site can't be reached" page and then it'll eventually refresh and connect to the site.

It's not a specific device either as it's happening on my PC, brothers laptop and Playstation which are connected in various ways (ethernet and wi-fi) so it's not a Wi-Fi or Ethernet issue as such.

If someone can help fix this I'd appreciate it as this is important, specially when making online payments which doesn't need explaining as to why.

I'm not that technical and aren't comfortable messing about with DNS settings as the message says.

Thanks Smiley 

This is the page that's coming up when trying to reach websites (please know this isn't just in Opera or Littlewoods site either).

This site can’t be reached

www.littlewoods.com’s server IP address could not be found.

Try:

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG

Check your DNS settings.

Contact your network administrator if you're not sure what this means.

Allow Opera to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings.

If it is already listed as a program allowed to access the network, try removing it from the list and adding it again.

If you use a proxy server…

Check your proxy settings or contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is working. If you don't believe you should be using a proxy server: Go to the Main menu > Settings > Change proxy settings… > LAN Settings and deselect "Use a proxy server for your LAN".

67 REPLIES 67
dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Websites struggling to connect - Is there a fix?

@robbieglover2k 

Just read your post, clicked on the link you supplied, accessed the site.

Are you still having problems?

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

It seems to have been better today with no time outs, sometimes a little slow to connect and once it connects it's fine but it was doing it for everyone as mentioned above, I'm guessing Ankit of people will be using their internet more at the moment too.

Thanks for the kind reply Smiley
uvavu
Dabbler

We have had something like this all day Wednesday. There seems to be a problem with the Plusnet DNS servers. Unfortunately the Plusnet router does not allow alternative DNS servers to be configured but it is possible to configure individual devices to use a different server. I have been switching my machines to use the Google servers (8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8) but it is a pain to have to do this.

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Yeah, same here, it's like sites are going to slow to connect then once they do they're fine. As I say it's not on individual devices either but I was pretty sure it was to do with the DNS thing all of a sudden.

I have no idea how to do that stuff either, I honestly think a lot of things is too much at times, customers don't know about DNS, changing Wi-Fi channels and all the technical things we're asked at times however hopefully they'll just fix it though but I do get an understand they've probably got a lot on right now.

Thanks for the kind reply @uvavu I really appreciate it Smiley

meldon
Dabbler

I’m having the same problem. Even this page took 20-30 seconds to load, but once it loaded everything on the site is fine.
robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Yeah, I think it's something to do with the DNS settings if I'm not mistaken. I'm guessing Plusnet will sort it soon as it's been doing it for me a little today too. The forum loaded up fine just now but I have noticed it a little today again also so it's probably just a case of some DNS settings needing refreshed or something I guess? Smiley 

Yeah, once the sites connect then they're fine, it's getting that first connection first Smiley 

meldon
Dabbler

It's pretty bad for me. Many sites don't load at all the first time. I've run a tracert which has shown a bunch of timeouts. Here's an extract:

2     5 ms     5 ms     6 ms  172.16.11.141
  3     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  4     6 ms     6 ms     5 ms  128.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk [195.166.143.128]
  5     6 ms     6 ms     6 ms  195.99.125.136
  6     6 ms     7 ms     7 ms  peer7-et-3-0-4.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.252.160]
  7     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  8     6 ms     5 ms     6 ms  151.101.18.217

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@meldon  The timeouts on your Tracert are not significant, it just means that particular hop is not responding to pings. You are reaching the requested address in 6 ms so nothing wrong there.

meldon
Dabbler

Ah ok, I’ve changed the DNS on my phone and everything is good.
meldon
Dabbler

@plusnet - this is still a major problem, it is not practical for me to change the DNS on every device in my house to circumvent the problem. Any idea what’s going on? It can take up to 20 seconds before the dns lookup completes.
dws1900
Aspiring Pro

@meldon 

Not knowing how technically savvy you are makes it a bit difficult to suggest a solution.

If you have spare routers or a spare computer you could set up a local dns and dhcp server, then forward the queries to a non plusnet dns service.

8.8.8.8 or 8.8.8.4 if you must Smiley

Alternatively get another modem-router, I believe one of the BT Home Hubs will work, search this board for the correct model. 

meldon
Dabbler

These are options for sure. I guess I’m trying to find out whether this is a problem for many at the moment or an issue only for me. Things were fine up to a week ago. I know support will be slower at the moment, but the ideal solution is that it gets fixed and I don’t have to mess about with anything else! I was however thinking about buying a router that allows me to change the DNS or even jumping to another provider..
robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

I don't know if this is related as I'm not overly technical but has this been happening again today and also my email client was struggling to connect cause of it. 

Can anybody confirm if it's the same issue by any chance, I'm sure it'll iron itself out if so but I'm just curious as it's been absolutely fine since the initial post here Smiley

Thanks Smiley

dws1900
Aspiring Pro

@robbieglover2k 

https://www.littlewoods.com accessed ok, no delay, NOT using PN DNS