cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Website does't load on Plusnet - could you try this site for me?

morgan8
Dabbler

Re: Website does't load on Plusnet - could you try this site for me?

It may be a coincidence but I spoke to ii and it may be that the two issues are unconnected. I too am having the same problem. The original issue of April 28th is still unresolved and now additionally I am unable to log in to the main website at secure.ii.co.uk as well. I don't use a VPN so can't test that.

Bizarrely, nslookup works!?:

nslookup secure.ii.co.uk
Server:  dsldevice.lan
Address:  192.168.1.254

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    secure.ii.co.uk
Address:  185.194.40.1

But when trying to access the webpage I just get:

"The connection has timed out

The server at secure.ii.co.uk is taking too long to respond."

As with the April 28 query, this may only be affecting Plusnet customers (and possibly some BT customers as well) but customers with other ISPs may be fine.

DaveyB123
Dabbler

nslookup wasn't working for me about 30 minutes ago. They seem to have just fixed it about when you posted. I can now log in, although the original issue is still there. Can't view the ETF research option etc.

morgan8
Dabbler

Yes, same here - main website is back up but the original issue is indeed still there.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Thank you all for getting back to me.

I've discussed this further with the person in our Network Team who has been chasing this up/investigating for us and have also been in dialogue with the sites engineers.

I have been advised we've investigated our network side of things and no routing changes have been implemented that would cause this problem from our side.

If the site was working in April/prior to April, at this point the best advice I can give really would be to contact the sites customer services making sure to outline when the problem started which based off of answers in this thread seems to have been some time towards the end of April(?).

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
morgan8
Dabbler

Given that you've "been in dialogue with the sites engineers" have you explained to them what you have told us? And what has been their response? Have they accepted that the issue is something to do with them and, if so, have they stated that they are taking responsibility to fix it?

I spoke to them this morning and explained everything in a lengthy call and they inform me that the issue is with Plusnet as they have tested their site and it loads fine for them.

Also, we have not had an explanation as to why it is Plusnet customers that are facing this issue where customers of other ISPs are not.

DaveyB123
Dabbler

I echo what morgan8 said.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

The fact it's only Plusnet affected is not an indication that the issue is our side. I can locate a similar thread from recently where that assumption was made and it didn't end up being the case (on mobile at the moment so can't link).

That said, I'm not apportioning blame away from us with 100% confidence either. It does seem everything our side is good though.

Dialogue continues at a reasonably elevated level, however progress is slow because there's evidence from both parties that their house is in order.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

DaveyB123
Dabbler

It seems to me that www3.iii.co.uk (or tdor-www-tddirectinvesting-co-uk.resolv.iicorp.uk or 185.194.40.22) has been blacklisted or blocked by a firewall or similar by Plusnet, or else a server with whichever provider that Interactive Investor uses has blocked a Plusnet server IP address.

I can't nslookup it using the Google nor the Plusnet DNS servers, however it works from my Plusnet connection if I use the ping.eu service. However traceroot via ping.eu fails after the following:

f5defense-ic-308524-ffm-b1.c.telia.net 213.248.94.254

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

I'm currently using a Daisy Wholesale connection and am getting the same problem I mentioned earlier in this thread (link)

This site can’t be reached

www.www3.iii.co.uk’s server IP address could not be found.

eta: I'm also using Cloudflare DNS so no Plusnet involvement whatsoever.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

We've been advised by the site in question that they've made some changes.

Can everyone let us know if you're still experiencing any issues or if the site is now working as expected?

Thanks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Thanks Harry, 

I'll be over my parents in an hour or two, so happy to test it on their PlusNet connection and will let you know how I go.

Will post back on this thread then and let you know.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Looking good here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

DaveyB123
Dabbler

Works for me too. Thanks for your efforts.

I assume it maybe was a blacklisting or similar issue then? Might be helpful to know in case it happens again.

morgan8
Dabbler

I agree with DaveyB123. I too would be interested to know what was causing the problem and how it was resolved, especially given how much time and effort we all put into this. Would it be possible to get an explanation? Thanks.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

PlusNet may not necessarily know this as it appears it was down to a 3rd party (the website owners) to adjust something on their side, and they may not have disclosed what they did to PlusNet.

If PlusNet know what it is and are prepared to disclose it then fine, but of course anything to do with websites and security features etc. it might not be something they wish to post on a public forum.