Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web sites NOT accessible from Plusnet

FIXED
deligeng
Hooked

Web sites NOT accessible from Plusnet

For quite while already, there have been some websites not accessible from Plusnet. Initially, I thought it could be just internet glitch and would recover along with time. In fact, the number of such inaccessible web site seems increasing. These websites could be accessed before from plusnet and even now they can be accessed from other network. Is there something wrong with plusnet?

I've enclosed two ping example, one from plusnet another from university network.   

ping_plusnet.pngping_dur.png

21 REPLIES 21
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: Web sites NOT accessible from Plusnet

It's working fine from my Plusnet connection.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

deligeng
Hooked

thanks for your input. that does not seem to be fair, what makes my connection special? enclosed the route tracing for more details.

tracert_plusnet.png

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

You don't have Safeguard switched on do you?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Deli, that's odd the websites seem to be working for myself too.

Do you get any particular error message when you try to browse to the website?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
deligeng
Hooked

could this be possible problem of my fixed IP address? any chance to change the static IP address to a different network segment? or temporarily disable the static IP? 

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I have a static IP and the sites are working ok.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
deligeng
Hooked

The problem is I can't open those web from my plusnet. There is no message, just waiting until it has been timeout. 

From the tracing result, the packet appears passing through local network and some how got blocked at the remote end. Since from the router point of view every IP packet is identified by its source address, source port, destination address and destination port. The source port is assigned dynamically and the destination address and port are same as many of you have tried. so one possible means to probe the problem is to change my source address, which can only be done by plusnet.

PS. thanks for trying it with your static IP settings, your IP address is different from mine. the routing to the destination may also be different. however, it does imply that changing the IP address may solve the problem.

PPS, if it is Safeguard or something similar, the firewall wouldn't allow the packet to go out anyway, the trace route would't show anything from local/near end network.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us Deli.

While I'm happy to try changing your IP address (We can't get the same static IP back if we do) I'm conscious if that fixes the issue we'll have an IP that doesn't work properly so I'd like to get this further investigated first.

Would you be happy for us to raise a task with our network engineers? We should have an update within 3 working days. If you need access to the sites urgently let me know and I'll change your static IP address in the hope that fixes things for you.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
deligeng
Hooked

I do also want the issue to be solved properly. If possible, ask your engineer to try from the same sub-net address as my static IP, since I suspect the whole network segment may have been blocked at the far end. It is still odd to me as some of the far end website is accessible (such as www.cib.com.cn) and some not (personalbank.cib.com.cn). note that these two web might be on a same network or even on a same machine. 

Please let me know what you may find out and I can use the university's VPN for a few days.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

OK cool I've raised a task with our engineers now, we'll see what they come back with.

Will let you know as soon as I know more.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I'm going over to my parents later today, so I will give it a test on their PlusNet connection.

Actually I do know another location (a public house opposite me) who also uses PlusNet.

I'll try them in the next 10 minutes, not that I am looking for an excuse for a drink or anything Smiley

Will post back on here later today.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@deligeng, we'd like to do what's called a dial test which entails us logging onto the internet using your account. As you've got a static IP you'll need to power down your router for us to be able to carry this out. It'll also be our 24/7 business team who carry out this test overnight between midnight and 7am. Would you be able to switch your router off tonight?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
deligeng
Hooked

ok. that's fine. I'll disconnect the cable from my router 0000 to 0700 on 15th June 2019.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sounds good

Thanks Deli.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet