Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web pages intermittently loading slowly

Annie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Web pages intermittently loading slowly

A few weeks ago, I began having problems with IP conflicts. To cut a long story short, Plusnet sent me a new router (2704N). However, I'm having problems on-and-off with loading certain web pages. One minute a page will load at normal speed and the next minute, it stalls or downloads after 20-30 seconds. I'm on Windows 7 connected by ethernet. My husband's Window 10 wireless laptop was doing something similar before the router swap but he hasn't mentioned the problem in the last few days so his might be behaving better.
Does anyone have any clues as to what could be causing this issue. I'm on fibre and it feels like dial-up at times.
Annie
19 REPLIES 19
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Web pages intermittently loading slowly

I've tested your connection and although this may or may not be causing the issue you are experiencing, it is returning the following result:
Voice fault suspected - contact Voice CP to progress copper issue

Having said this, the sync speed seems fine and the connection seems pretty stable.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Annie
Rising Star

Thanks for your reply. I have no idea what 'Voice fault suspected - contact Voice CP to progress copper issue' means. Could you advise me please?
Annie
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Basically it means our tests are showing a potential issue on the phone line.
You'd have to speak to your phone provider for more information on this.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Annie
Rising Star

Thanks. I'll give BT a call.
Annie
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

It's worth noting to not mention that it's affecting your broadband as they may then just disregard the line fault and send you back to us.
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Annie
Rising Star

I've been on to BT and they tested my line with my usual setup and told me that I had an internal fault. Then I took the phone line out of the master socket and plugged it into the test socket behind and they said it was now fine. By this, they deduced that my faceplate is at fault.
My setup is that I have one of the openreach faceplates with the broadband socket on the top and the phone socket on the bottom. By use of a doubler, there are various extensions running around the house for the phone. The broadband cable is long and it goes from the hallway downstairs to upstairs in a bedroom where the BT Openreach modem is.
Before I go out and buy a new faceplate, I want to ask whether the problem could be anywhere in my internal wiring or is it definitely the faceplate?
Annie
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

To be honest, it could be any of the internal wiring you've mentioned, however it's hard to say which bit without testing while replacing one item at a time Undecided
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Annie
Rising Star

Oh nightmare. I can't very well ring up BT to test the line whilst I unplug and plug things back in. Although, thinking about it, I suppose when the phones were plugged into the test socket and things were OK, then I have to consider the things that were taken out of the loop which were the front plate and the cable up to the modem, the modem itself, the cable to the router, the router (although this is new) and the cable to my PC.
I think I'll have to monitor the internet for a bit longer as this is all beyond me.
Annie
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I would imagine replacing cables is probably the easiest place to start while searching for where the fault lies.
Quote from: Annie
The broadband cable is long and it goes from the hallway downstairs to upstairs in a bedroom where the BT Openreach modem is.

If you're going to be testing/replacing other cables to see if this helps the issue, it may be worth altering this so the modem is connected via a short DSL cable near the master socket and then have a long Ethernet cable running upstairs to the router as I believe DSL cables are affected by degradation much more than Ethernet cables.
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Annie
Rising Star

Thanks Harry. It's a real nuisance, the cable is stapled in against the architrave and in trunking etc. so not a quick job. Ethernet cables are even thicker and less discreet. Can't move the router downstairs without lugging the two VOIP phones base stations with it and then, typically, there's no plug on the side of the hallway that the master socket is on. Oh the joys of technology!
Annie
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

As mentioend : First of you'll need to try your system with all the extra wiring  unplugged and the modem conencted directly  to the NTE5 ADSL outlet on as short a RJ11  cable as  possible. See if it  improves.
. "Doublers" and  extention phone cables for the modem/ router are very likely to interfere with the router performance.
So, if  you can operate the Modem as close to the master socket as possible on a very short RJ11 cable,  see if that improves things. What modem / router combination are you using? BT Openreach modem and which router?
A possible solution to try - which my brother is using , is to keep the Openreach fibre VDSL modem as close as possible  to the phone socket , on  a short RJ11 cable ,  but to put the router where you need it on the end of a long Ethernet cable  between modem and rouer. it  May look Untidy but works well and the ethernet cable can run under carepet etc. They can be up 10 100mteres in length with no degredation in performance .
Phone extentions should not interfere with broadband as long as the faceplate is working as it should ,and the extention wiring is connected to the correct terminals: ie The Filtered ones which  are  pins or connectors marked 2 and 5 .
This is the back of a filtered faceplacte

Dont connect any phone extention to A & B and ignore 3 & 4
Hope this helps
Annie
Rising Star

My socket doesn't look like that inside. I'm attaching a picture. My router is the Plusnet 2704N and I also have the BT Openreach modem.
Annie
mcintoshuk
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Looks like the filter is part of the faceplate in that arrangement. I don't like the idea of those IDC cable joiners before the connection to the box - every joint is a possible weak point, but you're probably stuck with those now. I'd suggest removing the splitter and trying to live with one phone plugged into the master socket for a little while and see if things improve. If they do then the problem is likely in one of the devices or wiring that you've left unplugged.  If not then try a different 'phone in the master socket to eliminate that.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

It looks like that incoming cable going into the back of the master socket, is old, but more importantly, is not twisted pair, which is bad for broadband because it will pick up interference, so it ought to be replaced with the proper standard of cable. It's Openreach's responsibility to replace that because it's on their side of the test socket.