Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Wave 2 Routers

ampdef
Grafter

'Wave 2 Routers

Hello guys,
Hopefully I will be joining PlusNet Fibre tomorrow, 25thpm.  Just some advice please  Embarrassed  .
Because the PlusNet supplied router only comes with 2.4Ghz wifi and upto 100Mbits/s WAN, I am seriously thinking of a new router.  My present router is a TP-Link TD-W9980 and is working great on ADSL connection, averaging 11-13Mbits/s download, and wifi not too bad on the 2.4Ghz band.  The main reason for a change is I want a faster coverage speed on wifi and better coverage.  At present I am using Devolo Homeplugs, (these are dLan 200 AVplus and I am in the process of changing them to faster ones.  One on Linux Satellite STB, one on Humax Receiver and a third on a laptop, next to my 'chair' and of course one upstairs onto the router.  I was thinking of the TP-Link Archer D9 or similar, serious answers please.
My second question is who knows about 'Wave 2 Routers'
9 REPLIES 9
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Re: 'Wave 2 Routers

I don't know about Wave 2 routers but I do know that the W9980 has an integrated VDSL2 modem, so you can use that with Plusnet fibre and you won't even need the separate Openreach modem.
The Plusnet supplied router gets very poor reviews so I would take the Openreach modem that you will get with the install, take the supplied Plusnet router, but use your TP-Link. Keeping the supplied PN router is useful for troubleshooting purposes if required.
I am assuming the TP Link can also be used with a WAN port (but I am not sure), meaning that you can either run the TP-link on its own (no Openreach modem), or use it with the Openreach modem.
I guess it is a personal choice but I run the HG612 openreach modem to gain access to very comprehensive line stats.
Either way, you keep the good wi-fi coverage of your TP-Link, and you don't need to spend any money Smiley
ampdef
Grafter

Many thanks jafreer, Yes there is provision for a direct connect without the PN router.  The only reason for change is to reach other parts of our house and my wifes Kindle's and her tablet.  Sometimes, even with the Devolo dLAN 500 WiFi repeater she loses the signal.  On the other side of the coin with a decent Fibre connection things could change and no money spent.
Thank you again
ampdef
Grafter

Just to let you all know.  I will not be changing my TP-Link TD-W9980 router just yet.  I got connected today to Upto 80Mbits/s Fibre and through the Openreach Modem and PlusNet supplied router I only had 10Mbits/s download.  I configured my above router, (to kitz wiki Quick Setup for TD-W9980), and I am now connected at 79995.  All I can add is that I will keep my on the speed from time to time and see what happens.  If the speed stays as stable as ADSL had over the last few years I will be a very happy Bunny.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Sounds good ampdef.
That 10Mbps may have been prior to the speed profile being updated (was that about your download speed on your previous product?). If that is the case (and I'm not saying for sure it is), it probably isn't anything to do with the PN supplied router. Having said that, top performance with the TP-Link. If you are very close to the cabinet (which it sounds like you are), if you can see attainable rates in any of your stats, it will let you see how much headroom you have in regards SNRM etc.
Was it an ECI or Huawei Openreach modem you got? If a Huawei, it can be *very easily* unlocked and you can gain access to a lot of line stat information.
ampdef
Grafter

Thanks jafreer.  Not sure of the make, (downstairs on the laptop at the moment), when I go back upstairs to the desktop I'll check.  The cabinet is about 200-300 metres down the road.  I think that is why I get good speeds, and an Openreach Engineer came out several years ago and installed a proper wall plate.  Perhaps that is the reason, being close, that my ADSL speed was averaging 12-14Mbits/s.  To me the speeds I have had and now get is great, considering my actual connection to the cabinet is through 2 small copper wires.  My streaming now should be better into my Linux STB, and who knows I might even try and play a couple of games on line ;-)) as long as I don't get beaten up too much by youngsters.
I'll check back with what has been supplied and give the BT and PN another go, although why try and fix it if it isn't broke???
PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

I've been using a TP Link TD W9980 for 11 months now on PlusNet fibre & its been faultless, excellent device  Cool
TP Link also seem to roll out firmware fixes pretty quickly to.
I wouldn't even bother trying the Openreach modem & PlusNet router, you will be disappointed compared to the TD W9980  Wink
ampdef
Grafter

Smiley  Thanks for the info PowerLee.  Of all the routers I have, (7), 3 are TP-Link and the only reason to upgrade from one to another was WiFi speed.  I think the next upgrade will be to an AC model and faster WiFi, say 1900 or 2600.  I don't think tri-band is needed  Wink  It is just in this 4 Bed house I need more coverage.  Even with WiFi Repeaters and the Devolo dLAN Adapter the Guest coverage is not that great.  Still they can wait a bit longer.
btw, jafreer, all I can see on the base of the Openreach Modem is ECI Telecom Ltd.  Description NGA ECI-CPE-Modems Type 1B.  Model B-Focus V-2FUb/r Rev.B
I'll surf that and see what it is exactly.  Of course, (Made in China).
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: ampdef
I'll check back with what has been supplied and give the BT and PN another go, although why try and fix it if it isn't broke???

I wouldn't bother connecting it all up again, but definitely worth hanging onto as a spare.
The ECI modem can't easily be unlocked, but you do get some line stats from the TP-Link. To be honest, the extended line stats are only useful when trying to diagnose problems etc. They aren't required for everyday use. If it was me I would probably just use the TP-Link without the Openreach modem as it seems a reliable setup. I did look closely at the W9980 and if I decide on an upgrade, it's probably the one I would opt for.
ampdef
Grafter

That's how I have it setup just the 9980.  Agree with line stats and snr etc I had a small prob when I first bought it and a TP-Link tech guided me through a better setup for adsl.  Please don't ask me what I did then but this time I followed the setup routine from kitz.