cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to replace the default fibre router, suggestions? Netgear r7000?

fadeaway
Grafter

Want to replace the default fibre router, suggestions? Netgear r7000?

Hello I feel like the default router isn't quite keeping up with my household demand. I have a few mobile devices, laptops, desktop, games consoles, netflix, connected TV etc.. Sometimes certain devices will get disconnected randomly or suffer slow connections.
What would you recommend?  I saw the nighthawk r7000 on offer and the r8000 as well but their rated speeds of 1900mbs and 3200mbs seem excessive for plusnets lowly 80mb speed.
Note, priority is gaming.
6 REPLIES 6
zaphodb
Dabbler

Re: Want to replace the default fibre router, suggestions? Netgear r7000?

I got an asus ac66u. Brilliant router. I use asus-wrt merlin custom firmware. I would really recommend this.
CL01
Grafter

I reccommend the TP-Link W8980. I know it says that it's an ADSL router but you can use the WAN port with the OpenReach Modem to make it work. I can provide some support with what you need to do if needed Wink Amazon Link
acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The Netgear Nighthawk R7000 does not have an inbuilt modem for fibre usage so you would have to use a separate OpenReach modem with it. If you want to do away with the need for the Openreach modem then Netgear do the Nighthawk D7000 which is similarly priced to the R7000.
dannyboy75
Rising Star

The Plusnet sagemcom router is pretty poor - I ordered my own replacement less than an hour after seeing how Fisher Price it was.
Similar to zaphodb, I went for the Asus RT-N66U - https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/RTN66U/.  It's very well specced, can run custom Merlin or DD-WRT firmware, and even the stock firmware has support for Wake-on-WAN, VPN, remote media streaming, etc. And it looks the part too.
fadeaway
Grafter

Quote from: acr
The Netgear Nighthawk R7000 does not have an inbuilt modem for fibre usage so you would have to use a separate OpenReach modem with it. If you want to do away with the need for the Openreach modem then Netgear do the Nighthawk D7000 which is similarly priced to the R7000.

I didn't think of that. Is it common to replace both the router and the modem? I thought the modem shouldn't really be touched.
dannyboy75
Rising Star

Although OpenReach currently install it, there's nothing special about the modem - it's just a VDSL modem (which can be integrated into routers, in the same way you can buy combined ADSL modem routers).