cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wall mounting the fibre router

childwall43

Wall mounting the fibre router

I got a new router today when I switched to fibre. How am I supposed to hang it on the wall like the previous one, with an Ethernet cable sticking out of the back (the old one had the wires coming into the bottom edge).
11 REPLIES 11
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Wall mounting the fibre router

you need to manufacture your own bracket to fit to wall  Embarrassed
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
deejayburnout
Grafter

Quote from: childwall43
I got a new router today when I switched to fibre. How am I supposed to hang it on the wall like the previous one, with an Ethernet cable sticking out of the back (the old one had the wires coming into the bottom edge).

Dont fit it to the wall. A waste of 2 screws. Buy a 3rd party router. Much better
Eggs
Rising Star

I'm in the same situation.
The fibre modem sits neatly behind my desk on the wall.
But the new router is supposed to sit on something on its silly pink legs with loads of heavy cables spewing out the back tipping it over.
I've been looking for some low profile 90 degree ethernet cables but I think I'll go with a new router. Anyone recommend one with bottom entry ports?
I don't want a combined modem & router - just the router.
Also, the routers that plug into the fibre modem. Are these routers the same as those used with ADSL connections?
deejayburnout
Grafter

I bought an Asus RT-N56U router and the cables go in the side. Far better performance than the PN one and looks nice to.
Would look nice on a desktop.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Eggs
..... Anyone recommend one with bottom entry ports?
I don't want a combined modem & router - just the router.
Also, the routers that plug into the fibre modem. Are these routers the same as those used with ADSL connections?

I would expect any half-decent wall mountable router to be mountable "lights up" = "cables down" - certainly, the TP-Link units I have do. Some will also mount with sideways cables/lights (not particularly useful, in my opinion).
To your other Qn., yes and no! Some ADSL and VDSL modem-routers can be configured appropriately, usually with a loss of one LAN port to provide the WAN port, though you have excluded these by preference. The router you need is usually referred to as a "cable router" and have five ethernet ports - one WAN and four LAN. For future proofing it is worth considering Gb ethernet, even if you cannot fully utilise it, and whether you also want to have 5GHz wireless now or in the future.
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
orby
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I found that vertically mounting the TP Link W9980 improved 2.4GHz wireless slightly, presumably because the antennas are internal (the 5GHz are the external ones annoyingly)
If I wall mount my W9980, the cables would be at the bottom but so would the antennas, surely it would be better with cables bottom, antennas top?!
PeeGee
Pro

I wouldn't want a desktop unit with antennae at the front and cables at the back, which would fit your suggestion, so it would need two different devices to cover the options. Whether the antenna is above or below is immaterial with respect to performance in normal circumstances.
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Eggs
Rising Star

I find it frustrating all these cable routers seem to be geared to sit on a desktop. I much prefer - indeed insist - mine is tucked away behind my desk (and no it doesn't affect wireless coverage). Surely someone must do one which is designed to mount on a wall, with bottom entry ports similar to ADSL modems? Since my line speed is around 20mbs I wouldn't imagine using an old one would matter would it? I'd need 4 wired ports. I guest wireless network would be nice but not essential.
PeeGee
Pro

A (relatively) inexpensive TP-Link TL-WDR3500 would fit your spec - 1+4x fast ethernet, 2.4/5GHz both with guest network and wall mountable (cables & antennae down, lights up). The 3600 has 1+4x Gbe.
Phil
Eggs
Rising Star

Thanks for that Phil.
Looking at eBay they are going for about £40 delivered. So, they are the spec I want and within my budget.
Looks like there will be a bid going in.
Eggs
Rising Star

Quote from: PeeGee
A (relatively) inexpensive TP-Link TL-WDR3500 would fit your spec - 1+4x fast ethernet, 2.4/5GHz both with guest network and wall mountable (cables & antennae down, lights up). The 3600 has 1+4x Gbe.
Phil

Mounted my new TP-LINK N600 (TL-WDR3600) router today.
Very pleased. After wall mounting it (will happily mount with ports pointing up or ports pointing down) it sits unobtrusively out of the way behind my desk. No silly pink legs and no reams of cable spewing out on the back tipping it over. Much tidier.
Also, it is future proofed with 1000gb ports, has dual band wireless (2.4hz & 5hz) and even a separate facility for a guest wireless network. Beautiful.
Anyone want a silly Sagemcom 2704N router?