cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waiting a month for line repair

ericw400
Hooked

Waiting a month for line repair

My phone line became noisy 4 weeks ago and then my broadband went to half advertised speed and keeps cutting out. Now my phone line is dead and broadband barely usable. Plusnet keep giving repair times that are never kept and it's now been put back another week. I'm at my wits end, no phone, rubbish broadband and no repair date. I've been really patient with them but don't know where to go from here. I thought I would get £8 a day compensation for lack of service but Plusnet haven't signed up to the automatic compensation scheme even though BT have. This seems really odd, BT have signed up and Plusnet are part of the same company. I'm just lost with all this, what can I do? Reading through these forums it seems I'm not alone with poor service.

10 REPLIES 10
pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Waiting a month for line repair

You would at least think that pusnet will refund you for the lack of service, and for any mobile data you need to use - equivalent to your normal usage

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

The issue with your line will most probably be with Openreach, and the date of repairs just being passed on to you from them.  From what you've posted, I'd take a guess that there might be some roadworks involved.  The repair dates you've been given will probably involved an Openreach engineer investigating and finding a problem which they've not been able to solve and have needed to get others involved.  For something so long chances are that its been identified that they need to do roadworks to fix a fault somewhere.  With roadworks they'd need to get a permit from the council which can often take some time.  A phone line isn't usually considered grounds for emergency works like when there's a gas leak, or problems with power cables causing no service.  Especially when there isn't a large number of people involved.

A staffer might be able to give some more details about your specific fault, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't quite close to the above.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ericw400
Hooked

The fault is in a "buried" junction box at the top of my drive in a service conduit. It has been marked out for a dig and is 2ft x 2Ft square. We live in a cul-de-sac and it isn't in the road itself. One man and shovel could probably do it. I wouldn't mind if they gave me a date and stuck to it but I've had 3 so far and no-one turns up. If I was getting £8 a day from the automatic compensation scheme that might help. I think it speaks volumes that plusnet haven't signed up this. I wonder why?

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

I think that would still be classed as roadworks.  From what you say the bit to be dug up isn't on your property, so if the road is adopted then it would be the council and (again guess work) if its unadopted it would be the private company who own it.

I don't think there would be much difference if Plusnet where on the automatic compensation scheme.  Plusnet may push more on Openreach to get it resolved, but that probably wouldn't get it resolved any quicker, especially if it is out of Openreachs hands.

With the automatic compensation scheme it would ultimately be us customers paying for it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ericw400
Hooked

I disagree, I think it would be a good incentive to plusnet to get the issue fixed. Again, ask yourself why they haven't signed up for the scheme. It suggests it would cost them too much due to the number of faults/issues they must have have outstanding. If there are any Plusnet employees on here, please could you comment on this. I think you would be able to give me more of an insight than an external forum member.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Good morning @ericw400

thanks a lot for reaching out, and I'm really sorry to hear about the ongoing issues with your line. I've just had a quick look and can see that our Tech support team are due a further update on this tomorrow. I've just popped a comment on the open Ticket advising them that you've reached out on here, I've placed it on hold until tomorrow, as per the latest Openreach notes.

It's important to understand that it isn't Plusnet that are actually causing the faults on your line, in most cases anyway, and that the majority of line issues are caused by defects within the Openreach network. Our job is to raise these issues and to follow up on them with our customers. We don't really have much of a say when it comes to Openreach engineer availability etc.

In regards to Ofcom's automatic compensation scheme, you're right, we aren't part of that, but we do have a similar one of our own. Customers are entitled to £8.00 per day for a total loss of service (TLOS), this would be applied as a credit on your account. It's not automatic" though, in that our automated system doesn't automatically process the credit, instead, when our Technical Support team contact you to discuss a gesture of goodwill for the inconvenience caused, this can be discussed.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
ericw400
Hooked

Hi @adam845, thanks for getting back to me. I understand your comments regarding openreach but it really isn't my problem (although it has become so). I'm paying for a service that you are unable to supply, the fact you are using openreach as a disclaimer makes no difference. The most frustrating thing about this are the fix dates, it's just keeps rolling into the following week, nothing happens and on we go. Do you have a contact at openreach I could speak to? If you can't prompt them into action maybe I could. Large companies just hide from the public and IMHO they should be much more accountable. Thanks again, Eric.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @ericw400,

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Whilst I can certainly emphasize, I'm afraid that we wouldn't be able to provide you with a contact at Openreach. I appreciate that this has taken some time to investigate so far, however please be assured that our Faults Team is working alongside Openreach to bring this investigation to a resolution as soon as possible. We're currently awaiting an update as my colleague @adam945 has confirmed, but if there are any issues following this update, please don't hesitate to update the thread and we'll be happy to pick the case up for further review.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
ericw400
Hooked

and another deadline passes and still no fix...............

This is the 4th time they are supposed to have come out to fix and no-one ever turns up.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hi @ericw400

Thanks a lot for reaching out again and I can only apologise for the length of time that Openreach are taking to address this fault.

I've just been in touch with them and have been advised that the Direct Labour Team are not feeding back any updates whatsoever. This issue has now been raised, and a mail has been sent to the relevant team on their end for a further update.

Our Tech Support Team have now been advised to review back on 04/08/2021.

Again, please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused here.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds