cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waiting 2 weeks for engineer to bring a modem/router - can't I do it myself?

herbopoulos

Waiting 2 weeks for engineer to bring a modem/router - can't I do it myself?

Hi,
I've been trying to get Fibre installed in my new house for the last few weeks, but as the previous tenants weren't moving out until the 27th of last month I couldn't place an order until the 28th. Anyway I finally got to place the order and the earliest connection date they gave me was August 13th. That's almost 2 weeks of living with no Internet!
Anyway the phone line has been set up and the previous tenants had an openreach based Internet service here, so all it seems that I need is an openreach modem. Plusnet sent me a text today saying that they are sending an engineer on the 13th, and activating the fibre service on the 14th (which I found odd) but my question is can't they just activate it NOW and let me plug in an openreach modem that I buy off Amazon?
Plusnet support have really only been able to give me canned responses, so I'm hoping someone here may be able to give me a more clear idea of what I can (or can't) do.
Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Eggs
Rising Star

Re: Waiting 2 weeks for engineer to bring a modem/router - can't I do it myself?

Interesting enough when I was connected the engineer just plugged the modem in. Job done. There was no reason he needed to enter the property at all, though it was nice to have him there to check the line and make sure there was a connection I was happy with.
gofaster
Rising Star

Re: Waiting 2 weeks for engineer to bring a modem/router - can't I do it myself?

If the previous tenant didn't have FTTC then your line needs to be jumpered across at the cabinet. The engineer will also install a new master socket plate with built in filter.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Sorry it's taking this long to get you provisioned. Always a hassle when there's an active stop on the line.
Appreciate that you are really itching to get it up and running ASAP, but gofaster is right in that work is necessary in order to get your line activated.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
herbopoulos

Thanks for the responses - makes sense - guess I'll just have to be patient!