cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIFi speed drop

Brettnkatie
Dabbler

WIFi speed drop

Hi I have seen a number of topics on here that discuss the issue I am facing, so sorry for any duplication.

We have just recently got fibre extra, our broadband speed over wifi is generally roaming around the range of 20mbs to 40mbs but when hooke dup by Ethernet cable are getting circa 60mbs. Any advice on what could be the cause. Is it an issue with the plusnuet hub one router.

The router is placed on a shelf, directly in the centre of the house, and wireless signal is strong. 

I have moved the router location, checked wireless bands and picked the optimal one based on neighbours connection. I have also split and unlinked the 2.4ghz & 5 ghz frequency bands.

I appreciate you will get a drop in speed over wireless but this is quite a big drop. there are no cordless phones, microwaves or baby monitors in the property?

TIA

14 REPLIES 14
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: WIFi speed drop

Have you tried checking the wireless speed when in the same room as the router. How does the speeds compare when connected via the 2.4 then 5GHz band?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Brettnkatie
Dabbler

Hi Baldrick, yes even next to the router I have a massive drop in speed. Literally run a speed check with pc connected and at circa 60mbs, unplug and run wireless and drops to 40mbs. Most of our devices are at 2.4ghz
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

That seems to be topping out at what I would think are G speeds, you've not restricted the hub router to b/g by any chance?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1

Alternatively of course is the possibility that the devices connected to the router are only capable of 802,11g speeds, being only 2.4 GHz capable could be a clue.

Moderator and Customer

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there.

Do you experience speed drops over WiFi using devices other than your computer?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Brettnkatie
Dabbler

Hi Gandalf,

Yes broadband speed drops on other devices too. I have just tried switching my mobile phone onto 5ghz and my speed does increase considerably up to expectations.
stewakeman
Grafter

@Brettnkatie wrote:

. Is it an issue with the plusnuet hub one router.

Quite possibly. Although there's no guarantee it's what's causing your low connection speed, it is certainly not a best in class product. In terms of wifi good practice, you seem to have exercised many of the recommendations.

Before going out and buying a better modem/router though, try something.

Connect on a device using your 2.4Ghz network as this seems to be the frequency you're having issues with. Sit as close to the Hub as you can and run a few speed tests. Power cycle the Hub and wait for it to reconnect. Once it has, make sure you again connect to 2.4Ghz and run some more speed tests to see if there's any difference.

With my experience of the Hub, if you're running into a hardware issue you will probably find that your speeds are recording higher immediately after a reset. If so, consider dumping the hub and going with a 3rd party modem router. If they're the same then the issue is more likely to be the particularities of your home with interference from something like another network.

Brettnkatie
Dabbler

Thanks Stewakeman. I will give this ago. Must point out we do get disconnected every now and again as well. Any recommendations on router if this is indeed the problem?
Brettnkatie
Dabbler

Got home to give it a go but router was down once again. Took about 10 mins to come back online. Then tried the re-boot 2.4ghz speeds increased slightly but have dropped again. 5ghz still kicking out at 60mbs
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Brettnkatie,

Thank you for raising this to us. I'm sorry to hear of the connection problems that you've experienced.

I've checked your line and can see that the connection is physically dropping out at times, which suggests that there is a deeper issue than just the wifi connectivity.

Please can you run through the troubleshooting checks here. If you're still experiencing drops via an ethernet connection after connecting your router to the test socket of your BT Openreach phone socket, please raise this to our faults team here.

Kind Regards,

Dave

Baldrick1

@RandallFlagg wrote:

Hi @Brettnkatie,

I've checked your line and can see that the connection is physically dropping out at times, which suggests that there is a deeper issue than just the wifi connectivity.

Is it a deeper issue or two disconnected issues? My money would be on the latter but I guess we will never know for sure until one (or both simultaneously) is fixed.

Moderator and Customer

Brettnkatie
Dabbler

Hi all, well done the checks and all seemed connected fine. Ran a speed test via bt, when connected via Ethernet we are getting 68mbs, by wifi with computer at 2.4ghz it says 62mbs or there abouts. By mobile phone (using Speedtest EE app) it says 30-40mbs at 2.4ghz and 60mbs via 5ghz. With PS4 it's says around 40mbs. Not sure about the connection though, we will have to see if it drops out again.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I'm glad to hear things to be resolved now.

Your connection does seem to be dropping a bit:

I'd recommend monitoring this letting us know if you start to experience the drops becoming more frequent/noticeable.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Brettnkatie
Dabbler

Hi Gandalf, 

We are continuing to get internet drop outs quite often. I have tried unplugging phone and other devices, I have had the router plugged directly into the master test socket and have also replaced the front BT master socket unit (was MK2, with a MK3 version and am still getting drop out quite regularly. Any thoughts?