cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHY is my unlimited Fibre 38mb not working to anywhere near that capacity?

FIXED
sparkrace12
Grafter

WHY is my unlimited Fibre 38mb not working to anywhere near that capacity?

Decided to sign up for Unlimited fibre at 38mb as unlimited broadband slow.

Since it was finished yesterday Friday 17 June 2016, I have still no superfast fibre, why?

Have checked my speeds on numerous occasions on BT wholesale and PlusNet

The best I am getting is, Plus net Download 5.5Mbps, Upload 1.89Mbps, Latency 12ms, jitter 5ms

On BT wholesale, Download 6.08Mbps and Upload 1.84Mbps, Ping 41, the diagnostic test also shows NO Fibre at my address!!!

PlusNet support confirmed upload speed as 2Mbit/s

I know it takes a few days for the speeds to settle down, but this is ridiculous, its not even at half capacity speed.

CAN Anybody in the technical department sort this out for me?

Never seen a fast speed yet!

sparkrace22
9 REPLIES 9
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Re: WHY is my unlimited Fibre 38mb not working to anywhere near that capacity?

Fix

Good Morning, 

as the account our side had changed over to the Fibre product a little early, the delta report we receive which sets your profile our side had set this to the ADSL speeds from before, I have updated this now, if you can restart your router you should get the correct speeds.

Your line is most definitely showing as enabled with Fibre however

sparkrace12
Grafter

Good Morning

Thank You  for your quick response.

I have done what you have suggested, and after quite a long wait of amber flashing light and flashing red light, the system has reset to a steady blue..

The Download speed is a staggering 18.99, Upload 1.90, Latency 12ms and jitter 2ms.

Thank You Very Much for your help in solving this issue quickly, Much Appreciated.

sparkrace22
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

@sparkrace12

Glad you problem has been sorted out to your satisfaction but I am a bit puzzled by the figures you quote.

I was previously on asdl and the fastest download speed I ever got was less than 2 and usually more closer to 1, the reason for this was the distance from the box to my premises using a copper wire connection, on moving to unlimited fibre broadband my speeds have been consistently around 36 down and 15 up so I am curious why this is as the signal still has to travel that last bit along the same copper wire ?

We are born into history and history is born into us.
sparkrace12
Grafter

Hi Gleneagles

the figures I quoted on Saturday were correct according to PlusNet & BT wholesale websites.

About 3 years ago the speeds for my PlusNet  broadband Used to be really poor, around 1 to 2, which was rubbish, and I really struggled, however PlusNet kindly sent my a new Thomson technicolor router and sent me a BT engineer to my house, the engineer traced a cable fault at the local exchange, and fixed it, I then upgraded to unlimited broadband and the speed  eventually increased to a good 5-6 Mbps.

I am now impressed with the unlimited Fibre, hope the new speed continues to move upwards, 30+.

i have been informed that I cannot have the unlimited extra, as the cables cannot handle that speed.

sparkrace22
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Just so your aware Fibre isn't like ADSL where there is a settling period for speeds to increase Fibre goes at it's fastest from the get go, If your getting only 18Mb down and expecting 30+ based on estimate then something isn't right.

run the BTW test ignore the red writing, once it's done choose further diagnostics and post the results http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

also post what your Plusnet Profile is set to you can find it here  https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

sparkrace12
Grafter

Just checked everything as you suggested

Download Speed 23.90 Mbps,  Max achievable is 32.64

Upload 1.84 Mbps, Max achievable 2Mbps

Ping Latency 32.13

Again BT wholesale state, No Fibre to the Premises (FTTP)

IP Profile for line 32.64MBps

Checked at 16.30hrs. 

sparkrace22
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@gleneagles with ADSL the speed is dependant on the distance between you and the exchange. With fibre it's the distance between you and the cabinet, which could be a lot less.

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Ok the IP profile seems fine it's at 32.64Mb so at least there doesn't appear to be a issue with the line etc.

What does the Plusnet profile say  https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

this is the profile Plusnet put at their end it needs to match the IP Profile if it does not you can get lower speed and it would need to be adjusted.

sparkrace12
Grafter

Download speed of 31.13Mbps

in the box along with my telephone number etc, it shows a speed of 32.60Mb.

sparkrace22