Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WAN connection dropping constantly

olly66
Dabbler

WAN connection dropping constantly

Hi,

My WAN connection is dropping roughly every half hour. The RJ11 from the OR socket goes directly into the router without using an external modem and I am using a Draytek 2860n-Plus and it has been fine for many months but recently it isn't as reliable as it was. There is nothing wrong with the Wifi but if I check the web interface the DSL WAN connection shows it just went down and then back again. It does reconnect pretty quickly but it's very annoying as it disconnects regularly.

Could you please test my line to see if there is anything wrong with it.

Thanks

Oliver

13 REPLIES 13
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: WAN connection dropping constantly

Hi there, we're seeing the connection drop fairly frequently so I'd get the checks here out of the way next: https://goo.gl/tu2WWu

Once that's all been ruled out you can report a fault over at http://faults.plus.net

Keep us posted so I can follow things up with you. 

Adam 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
olly66
Dabbler

Adam,

You are right there is definitely a fault on the line as the dialtone on the phone sounds like an ambulance siren. As we never use the land line these days I didn't notice in fact the battery charge had run out of the phone and no one noticed!

Anyway, I followed your fault logging URL so hopefully I did that bit right and someone will be sorting the line. How long will this normally take?

Olly

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Olly.

as the dialtone on the phone sounds like an ambulance siren.

That's usually caused by voicemail on the line.

Can you dial 1571 to listen to your unread messages and let us know how your dial tone sounds afterwards?

Anyway, I followed your fault logging URL so hopefully I did that bit right and someone will be sorting the line. How long will this normally take?

I'm picking this up now, I'll update the ticket on your account shortly.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
olly66
Dabbler

Hi,

Now I feel a right wally. Yes it was sounding like that as there was a voicemail message. I deleted it and it all sounds okay again but obviously the Broadband isn't.

Olly

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No worries Olly. Smiley

Yeah it looks like the broadband is an unrelated issue.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
olly66
Dabbler

So do I just wait for someone from Plusnet to contact me about when the line will be sorted?

olly

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi there, 

From the last reply to the fault ticket from us it looks like we're just awaiting your response. 

Here's a direct link to it: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=171519454 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
olly66
Dabbler

Adam,

I read the info in the troubleshooting link you sent. It says I should plug my router into the test socket on the master socket but how do I do that as the plug from my router is an rj11 and the socket is for a BT telephone plug. I have VDSL not ADSL.

Olly

JamesE
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Use a mini filter.

olly66
Dabbler

But I've never had to use a mini filter because there is an RJ11 socket directly in the OR socket. I don't think I even have one anymore. I just checked and the DSL hasn't dropped for 20 hours whereas, and you guys confirmed this, it was going up and down every 15 minutes. Have you done anything to my connection?

Olly

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi Olly, no we've not made any changes but the circumstances of a fault can sometimes change like that. 

I also see the 20+ hour connection. With that in mind I'd monitor the connection to see if it remains stable before we make a call to take things any further. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
olly66
Dabbler

Okay so it dropped twice in the last 15 minutes again after being connected for at least 30 hours. I did try to plug it directly in to the 'master socket' test socket using a micro filter but then it wouldn't connect at all. Now I have plugged the old OR modem in and then the router into that so let's give it some more time. The test reports you guys have done do say 'Impairment in copper joint detected most likely close to customer premises. Please continue to submit a trouble report.' So at some point over the next few days I will have to get outside and check the box on the wall.

Olly

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I did try to plug it directly in to the 'master socket' test socket using a micro filter but then it wouldn't connect at all.

Sounds like the test socket isn't wired up correctly.

Our tests are now passing with no fault found.

How's your connection been today?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet