Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WAN IP Address Changes Regularly

FIXED
mossywell
Grafter

WAN IP Address Changes Regularly

Hi all, I have a speed issue for which I have an open call with Plusnet, so this post isn't about that. As part of the diagnostics process, I am running and logging regular speed checks and a whole load of other things. I noticed that my WAN IP address changes, on average, 2.1 times a hour which seems very high to me. Now I know that it'll change when I reconnect DSL, but this is not what is happening. It is as if I am being bounced by PlusNet regularly between Telehouse North and somewhere else (not sure where) independently of my DSL connection. I know this is quite feasible technically, but 2.1 times an hour seems excessive. Is this normal for PlusNet?

4 REPLIES 4
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: WAN IP Address Changes Regularly

The WAN IP you're assigned should only change on a reconnection, it's most likely that your line is disconnecting a lot which in turn is causing your speed issues. Looking at the account linked to your forum username doesn't show this however and your external IP address hasn't changed for 18 hours.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
mossywell
Grafter

Hmmm... interesting. Thanks very much for the reply. Let me take a closer look at the ppp0 interface and the routes. Something's not adding up (maybe my script!) and I am quite sure the interface is not disconnecting and reconnecting. As I say, I'll do some poking around at my end and see what I find....

PS. It ends in 193 at the moment, yes?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Fix

Not what I've got! Can you PM me the account username so I can check I'm looking at the right one, the full IP you're seeing would be helpful too.

Please send me a private message

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
mossywell
Grafter

Thanks for your help, Chris. 

Looks like it was a router GUI problem reporting your peer address as my ppp0 address. Telnet confirmed this. Smiley

Cheers

m