cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vpn

Alvaro1980

Vpn

Hi,

Sorry if this is not the correct place but can someone try and help.

I use a VPN called cyberghost. I just transferred from sky to plusnet and now my vpn does not work. I get the following message. 'Service is unavailable. The app cannot reach the cyberghost service. Make sure you have a working internet connection and try again'

I changed the firewall setting and no difference. I need this to work as I occasionally work from home and is required. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Alvaro
13 REPLIES 13
pineapplecharm

Re: Vpn

I've got a similar issue where my work VPN thinks it's connected but no traffic can pass through it.  When I'm connected to the VPN I can access the Internet at large but not the office network.  As far as I can see, no IP clash or anything.

@bobpullen I saw you identified an issue for some which involved certain IP ranges; can you check and see if that might apply?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi guys, sorry that you're having issues with your VPN, and sorry for the delayed response @Alvaro1980 

As far as I'm aware the the IP range people seem to be having issues with is 146. and you are/were both on it. I can see Alvaro had since added a static IP, how are things going now?

@pineapplecharm I've added a static IP for you too, can you reboot your router and let me know how it goes?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pineapplecharm

@Gandalf Thank you for that, really impressed by the next day service!

Unfortunately it hasn't resolved the issue. It still says it is connected but it seems like nothing on the office network will resolve. Is there anything I can log or find out from this end?

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks for your post @pineapplecharm.

We are showing around 3GB of traffic since last night - has everything kicked back in for you?

pineapplecharm

Thanks for checking @OskarPapa but it's still not working for me.  The VPN is only for my work; the 3Gb you're seeing is probably my partner streaming movies or something.

It's really weird.  Still works perfectly if I connect through my cellphone's wifi hotspot so I don't think it's the laptop that is misconfigured.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @pineapplecharm, thanks for your response.

On liaising with our local Wizard-Man-VPNGenius @Gandalf, we're in agreement that it may be time to speak with the IT dept at work, as it doesn't seem to be linked to the IP range.

Of course, if you've already done so, please let me know.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@pineapplecharm 

It still says it is connected but it seems like nothing on the office network will resolve

That is typically caused by having the same LAN subnet range at both the office and home. Your home subnet using the Hub One will be set to 192.168.1.x by default. If the office uses a local LAN with a subnet the same then the VPN will establish but you will get no traffic though it to the office LAN. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

stonelynk

Hi is there any further update on this issue, as I have just switched to Plusnet and am experiencing the same issue but on a single laptop, so no issues with subnet.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@stonelynk  to be clear , your VPN works on other devices but not on one particular laptop ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

stonelynk

I only have the one main device but I get the same response if I use a iPad and try to access Cyberghost website, this is also the same for other vpn provides. See screen grab .

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@stonelynk  your problem seems to be different to the one above. Often, the problem you have is browser related. Try googling the err_ssl_protocol_error

pineapplecharm

I did finally source the problem: the Plusnet DNS isn't fetching the office records properly.  Changed my laptop to Google (8.8.8.8) and everything is working fine, finally.

Thank you for the assistance; glad we got there in the end!

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @pineapplecharm,

I'm glad to hear that you've found a solution to the issue. Please let us know if there's any further issues.

Hi @stonelynk,

Have you been able to find a resolution to your issue yet? If not, I would like to clarify if the problem is still only occurring whilst using the laptop or if the issue is also happening on your iPad? If it is happening across both devices, are you using the same web browser?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team