cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoIP over Plusnet FTTC

FIXED
RAMitel

VoIP over Plusnet FTTC

Hi All, I've had a strange issue with VoIP over Plusnet and thought i'd see if anyone else has come across this?

Background; I install/maintain Mitel PBX and software products and one of our customers has remote workers with Mitel IP phones at their homes using their own broadband service which connect to the corporate Mitel server (The phones work without the need for a VPN).

One of the users recently moved from Sky BB to Plusnet and their IP phone stopped working, as I use plusnet at home I thought I would try this from my Plusnet service and the phone would not connect, after performing packet traces both at the phone and remote server etc and looking on this forum I found I was using PCN-AR01 as my Plusnet gateway (My public IP at home was dynamic).

After googling and looking on the forum I found that if I had a static IP on my Plusnet service the gateway changes,as it was ony £5 I changed to static and my gateway changed to PCN-BNG01 and the IP phone connected and now works ok?Huh

The really strange thing is; I pointed the IP phone to another Mitel server before making any changes and it worked straight away.

This leads me to think there is a routing issue from the PCN-AR01 gateway to certain other ISP's. (On the trace route the customers ISP was easynet)

Has anyone seen anything similar to this on Plusnet before?

8 REPLIES 8
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: VoIP over Plusnet FTTC

Fix

Yes, in my case it was a Geolocation thing. The Geolocation databases used by some VoIP providers are out of date and claim the Plusnet IP is located in the usa. Static ips are not in this problem IP ranges. There's a few threads about this.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Duplicate post removed.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Looks like an interesting challenge for @bobpullenAngel

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RAMitel

Thanks NPR.

That would explain it, I just looked up my dynamic address and some say UK others USA whereas my static address all state UK.

Have since found the server has a geolocation database lookup table.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Has anyone seen anything similar to this on Plusnet before?

deleted initial reply having seen the previous post.

Now all you need to do is get the server geolocation  correctedRoll_eyes

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

The Geo-location databases used by some VoIP providers are out of date and claim the Plusnet IP is located in the usa

I don't think you can really blame the voice provider for this as the IP Addresses are still registered with ARIN in the USA to an address in the USA. If you do a who is lookup on the 146.199.0.0/16 subset they are registered to an address in El Segundo, California. 

Source: https://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-146-199-0-0-1/pft?s=146.199.0.0

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

There's a long thread here https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/IP-addresses-not-UK-Can-customers-please-report-any-p... about the who's right or wrong regarding the location of these IP addresses.

RAMitel

Thanks to all who replied and your assistance! Smiley

NPR pointed me in the right direction as I hadnt realised the server in question had a IP whitelist/blacklist.

Ultimately it's not a major issue if the databases are slightly out as I can whitelist manually on the server that is accepting the remote connection (Which I have now done), on the whole most entries appear ok.

Thanks again.

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

@RAMitel wrote:
I can whitelist manually on the server that is accepting the remote connection (Which I have now done), on the whole most entries appear ok.

AFAIK the following four IP ranges are the only ones affected by this problem:

146.198.0.0/16
146.199.0.0/16
146.200.0.0/16
143.159.0.0/16