cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very very variable download performance

drw
Grafter

Very very variable download performance

Why is the download speed so variable  - attached SamKnows chart for the last 7 days. The usual service is as expected but since the 23rd December the service is appaling.
I also see a drop on download speed towards the end of the account month - Is performance throttling taking place?
6 REPLIES 6
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Very very variable download performance

Mine is normal, well say normal, it has been varying about 3mb for the last 6 months. I guess the upside is my downloads and uploads have increased slightly.
charltjr
Grafter

At this time of year I'd say it's most likely just huge amounts of Netflix, iPlayer, Skype, PS4 and XBox One traffic soaking up the bandwidth. All those "day one" updates for new kit like iOS updates and the new games consoles too.
If it's not back to normal in the next day or two it might be a fault I guess but I'd be tempted to hold off and see.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The bandwidth usage graphs have been somewhat down over the last couple of days, so there should be have been more spare capacity at Plusnet than usual.
charltjr
Grafter

It might not be PN per-se, don't forget you're sharing a pipe with an unknown number of other users from the cabinet to the exchange.
Definitely worth raising a ticket if it doesn't improve though.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Are you still seeing the variable speeds? When they are showing low on the SamKnows equipment can you run a BT speedtest and see what that shows? http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
drw
Grafter

OK will do - today the download speed is about 63 Mbps so acceptable, but not as good as it can be - eg 73 Mbps.