Very slow upload speed

Fast download, slow upload, please help, thanks

6 REPLIES 6
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Very slow upload speed

Thanks for your post @justyyuk and apologies for the delayed response.

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having issues with your upload speed.

Our line tests aren't showing any issues with your router's upload sync speed being at 20Mbps which should be giving you speeds just under this.

Can you confirm if you've been testing over a wired or wireless connection? If wireless can you try a wired connection to see if that performs better?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
justyyuk
Hooked

Hello,

The wireless (WIFI) do not have problems. I think there is something wrong with the cable connection. The wired connection drops connection (no valid IP) from time to time. And sometimes the upload speed is limited

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 383

The wired connection drops connection (no valid IP) from time to time. And sometimes the upload speed is limited

@justyyuk  that sounds like either a cable fault or a faulty port on the router (unlikely).

Have you tried a different cable and/or a different port on the router ?

If it's only one wired device then it could well be that device has a faulty ethernet interface

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

justyyuk
Hooked

Hi,

thanks for getting back.

I don't think it is the cable. the wired connection works for a few hours, and then drops with no valid IP, it shows the network is trying to identifying...

then, if I restart the router, it is fine again. It only happens to wired connection. The wifi is usually fine.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 383

Fix

I don't think it is the cable. the wired connection works for a few hours, and then drops with no valid IP, it shows the network is trying to identifying...

@justyyuk  that sounds like the device is losing connection momentarily and failing to get a new IP via DHCP. It could still be a cable or port fault.

You could try assigning the device a static IP if that's possible. Assuming you have a PlusNet supplied Hub one with the default settings, Use an IP in the range 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.168.1.63, network mask 255.255.255.0 and default gateway of 192.168.1.254. If that still doesn't work then it is very likely to be a cable/port fault.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

justyyuk
Hooked

Thanks! I think this (assigning a static IP to my desktop) helps! I 'll keep monitoring it.