cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow unlimited fibre

astonman
Grafter

Very slow unlimited fibre

Since start of Christmas holidays My Unlimited Fibre speed has fallen from an average of 32/36 Mbs

to about 21/23 Mbs Raised a ticket to see if any problems, Everything unchanged this end have tested

several times using various speed checks PlusNet/BT wholesale/Ookla etc all giving similar results

the higher speeds coming from hard wired laptop.

All checks indicate increased upload speeds from around 2/3 Mbs up 5/8Mbs but download speeds barely better

than pre fibre conection, Gaming/iptv streaming now impossible no good for Christmas, anybody else have any

speed reduction from santa I'm guessing this is traffic priority.

17 REPLIES 17
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Very slow unlimited fibre

Sorry to hear that.

I'll update the open fault on your account shortly with the next steps.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
astonman
Grafter

So just to update after a lot of to & fro ing partly due to plusnet crossed wires and partly because

of my odd shift pattern 2 visits from BT engineers who both confirmed my old technicolor router & bt modem

were out of date & the source of the problem.

Contacted PlusNet who agreed to send me a Hub One router (FOC) plugged in switched on and.....

Original speeds looked promising 40/9 hard wired & only slightly less wireless so happy bunny until....

2 weeks later speeds now dropped barely better than ADSL measured hard wired & wireless all over house at different

times at best I'm 32/5 at worst 21/7 simply not good enough after all this time with plusnet I'm now paying for fibre

but only getting ADSL.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Sorry to hear you're still having speed issues.

Our tests aren't finding the cause of that and your router is in sync at 40/10.

Can you run a BT speedtest at http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com using a wired connection, completing the further diagnostics at the end? This will store the result on the supplier system and will help us in reporting a fault to our suppliers.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
astonman
Grafter

ok so nearly 4 months after original speed drop problems my new Hub One router

seems to have settled down at least in terms of speed im getting 36/8 pretty

consistantly which is great........but hub one seems to reset 2 or 3 times a day

this is only momentarily before it fires up again all by itself ? and the range is not quite

as good as the old Techniclour/BT Openreach combo again only a small drop to upstairs (tiled)

bathroom no signal and does not extend into back garden like before....

router is in same place as before have tried moving as far as possible with no noticable

difference, looks like im gona have to invest in some kind of range extender.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi @astonman, can you describe what you mean by the router resetting?

Before you splash out on any new hardware I'd try seeing if there's a better channel for the router to connect to, that can be done by using an app like "inSSIDer" or "WiFi Analyzer" the guide here should help too https://goo.gl/BBd2Tu

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
astonman
Grafter

Hi Adam thx 4 your response.
Blue light on front of Hub One flashes orange momentarily before going steady orange & finally blue I'm guessing this happens 2 or 3 times a day as I'm not always around to observe, the lack of range is more of a concern have tried switching channels with no real change.

astonman
Grafter

Another update Shocked went into hub one settings reset router which didn't make any difference to lack of range  but "seems" to have cured the orange light issue obviously not here to check 24/7 so time will tell on that one.

Bit the bullet and bought a range extender which does what it says and can  now facebook on the throneGrin also increased range into garden,A bit disappointed that the all singing & dancing Hub 1 doesn't perform as well as the old bt modem/technicolour combo out of the box Angry but it seems I'm not the only one.

On a side note WiFi Analyzer shows the extended WiFi as more or less the same in the previous dead zones yet the actual conection speed is as good as it gets Crazy3.

astonman
Grafter

Another updateUndecided

Hub one router still "resetting" as before LED bar turns flashing orange then steady orange + "b" light before staus light turns blue and everything goes back to normal whole process takes less than a minute.

Shame to have this fly in the ointment.

astonman
Grafter

Another update and its not looking good for the PlusNet Hub One the speeds up & down are as expected but the continuous

"drop" in service seems to be getting worse tried to watch a movie tonight & box reset (see previous posts) several times apparently there are no problems on the line but this issue plus the lack of range has really turned me off the plusnet fibre

deal looks like im gona have to bail at the end of the contract very disappointing.Cry

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi astonman, thanks for the extra detail. The change with the lights youv'e mentioned is the connection dropping out and reconnecting. We're also seeing evidence of that on connection logs and signs of a fault on test results. 

With that in mind I've reported a fault and I'll keep you updated via this post and ticket 176391215 on your account. 

Adam 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
astonman
Grafter

Well here we go again (groan) Undecided

Problems continue with the Hub One router over FIVE MONTHS since installation router continues to

reset (see previous posts) periodicly always more compounded during holidays simply because im here

more of the time almost imposible to watch a movie in one go.

Bitterly disappointed with Plus Net after staying faithfull for so many years.

As this router is clearly not fit for purpose I would like to get a replacement before I jump ship

deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

Hi @astonman

I can see that you have spoken to one of my collegues today, and a new router has been ordered. Hopefully this helps the issue for you. Please let us know how it goes.

astonman
Grafter

Hi Deank

Replacement router arrived very next day super speedy service from plusnet, Plugged in and switched on

and left a week or so to check speeds & they have settled down to more or less where they should be & so far

no annoying disconnects....BUT the range issues persist even a little worse than before tried shifting router

& tweaking settings to no avail like before heavily reliant on my range extender to fill the hole.

It seems the hub one is really not fit for purpose and this forums suggest im not alone in that asumption

looks like ill have to bite the bullet & invest in a "proper" router.

I still cant understand how the original technicolour/bt modem combo gave superior range  compared to the

new equipment?!?!

Waz
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @astonman,

I’m glad to hear the new router has rectified the problem with the connection remaining significantly stable. As you’ve mentioned the range issues the guide below will show you how to log into the router and change the wireless channel as it's usually another router in the area on the same or similar channel that will be causing issues for both wireless frequencies. Before picking a channel I'd suggest downloading a free app called wifi analyzer which will scan your area for all the routers and show what channels they are on between 1-13. Although the above app isn't essential it helps you pick where your router would be best in terms of channels and saves a lot of time doing it via trial and error.

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254 If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'. What we want to do to begin with is turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'Off' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '-5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection. Once this is changed, we will need to keep an eye on it for a day or 2 to see if the issue continues. If it does, the next step would be to change the wireless channel. Keeping in mind the original 2.4Ghz unchanged name network connection would be the best to connect your devices to for a stronger signal.

4) Following the above guide to get to your 'Advanced Settings' page, you will need to change the settings within the 2.4 GHz Wireless tab and the 5 GHz Wireless tab.

5) Under the correct heading, you will need to find 'Channel Selection' on the list and change this from 'Automatic' to any one of the other channels, This can also need doing under '5 GHz Wireless' to cover both signals. Give it 3-4 hours of testing to see if the issue still persists and try to change the channel again if you see little or no improvement.
Let us know how it goes. - Wasim