cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow internet. Packet loss.

drsamc

Very slow internet. Packet loss.

Newbie on the forum here. I'm hoping someone can help.

We've had a fibre connection with Plusnet for about 2 years. Other than a handful of times where we've lost connection for a few days, when it works, it's fast - connection speeds around 50 Mbps, which is higher than expected.

Last week, we suddenly completely lost connectivity. My partner contacted support and told they couldn't speak to him because I'm named on the account, but got him to check the master socket - it was double filtered. And a restart restored the connection, but the internet was very slow. Download speeds (wired connection to Netgear modem/router) of 0.5 Mbps, but upload 7 Mbps. Have had a f8lure trace running since the last fault (!), which shows slow pings and a lot of packet loss http://f8luresig.mouselike.org/sig.png?/56952.png56952.

Have tried the troubleshooting steps. Contacted Plusnet again on Saturday an they say there's no problem, but that's not really any help because the connection is currently pointless. A VPN connection to the office is unworkable and Netflix won't even load. O2 4G is weak in our area, but even that is faster, so I've forked out for a 4G hotspot to tide us over. I'm pretty hacked off as this is the third or fourth time we've effectively lost connection in the last couple of years.

I'd be very grateful for any ideas? Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Very slow internet. Packet loss.

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

Unfortunately our tests aren't showing any obvious causes and there are no issues reported at your exchange.

The only way to progress the fault would be to arrange for a engineer

I'll be updating the open ticket shortly so if you can respond there we'll get it picked up.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team