cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow broadband speeds

SteveBerg

Very slow broadband speeds

Hi All,

My fibre broadband is very slow, especially in the evenings, and is fluctuating between 2mpbs and around 10mbps. Today during the day it was as fast as 36mbps, but only after I switched the router off and on again. It is making it impossible to watch video, even normal browsing is often slow. I have restarted the router etc and tried different channels but nothing seems to make any difference.

It seems like a fault of some sort (it never happened with my previous BT connection) but Plusnet say there have been no problems in my area. Any help would be appreciated!

Best, Steve

8 REPLIES 8
StevieR1
Grafter

Re: Very slow broadband speeds

Would like to report the same problem as the original post.
Browsing the web and online gaming is slow this evening and after multiple reboots of router/hub and speedtests (BT Wholesale, Google, Ookla Speedtest ) my usual speed of 80 Mbps is not only able to reach 38 Mbps tops.

Google Speed Test

38.2 Mbps download

6.65 Mbps upload

Latency: 51 ms
Server: London

BT Wholesale

The Tap1 test was not conclusive for your broadband connection. However if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi both,

Could you please confirm the results of a wired ethernet speed test whilst your router is connected to the test socket as shown here?

If the wired speed test demonstrates better results, I'd recommend focusing on the wifi troubleshooting here. If it doesn't, please post your results as a screeshot and we'll take a look.

Best wishes

Dave

StevieR1
Grafter

Just been onto the support and they reapplied settings to bring my speeds back to what they have always been 80/20.

Mine is only used via Ethernet.

Rebooted and reset my router with it connected to the master socket and even though the upload speed has gone back to normal from 8 to 20Mbps the download speed is still only half of my IP profile 77.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @StevieR1

From what I can see your speeds are correct for your package as shown Here.

If you want more than 40mbps downstream and 10mbps upstream, you'll need to upgrade to Unlimited Fibre Extra which is the 80/20 product.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
StevieR1
Grafter

That's very odd as I have always been on 80/20 since I signed up to Plus Fibre 2 years+ but now I recently added Line Rental to my package my speeds have now dropped.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Did the adviser make you aware of this?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
StevieR1
Grafter

I did not hear any mention of internet account change or speed reduction.

Ringing them now to sort this out and if needed to cancel and go back my original service.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No worries. Leave this with me please and I'll listen to the call.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet