cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow Fibre speed and buzzing modem

chris1440
Hooked

Very slow Fibre speed and buzzing modem

Hi, I got connected to 76MB fibre on monday 12th december and after initially getting a speedtest of 65MB the download has now dropped to 7MB.  This is on a wired connection and wifi.  Strangely the upload speed is constantly around 19MB.

With my last fibre provider I was getting approx 75MB download speed.

The router is also buzzing and crackling whenever using wifi?  I can hear it from 2 meters away with the tv on?!

Regards,

Chris

11 REPLIES 11
chris1440
Hooked

Re: Very slow Fibre speed and buzzing modem

There obviously doesn't seem any point in posting on here if nobody will reply.  

Anyone thinking of joining Plusnet I would think twice.  I'm not sure where the "award winning" customer service statement has come from, but waiting on the help line for an hour and no answer when you are a new customer isn't what I would call great.  When I do finally speak to someone I will be asking for a cancellation of the service already and moving to someone else.  I never imagined they could be this bad.  

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello @chris1440

I'm really sorry to hear you are already experiencing problems with your new router.

I would first advise a factory reset; there should be a small reset hole at back, if you pop a paperclip or pin in there until the lights turn green then wait for the router to reboot.

If you continue to experience the buzzing noise, it's probably then worth us looking into replacing it for you.

Apologies for the delay in replying to your thread and for the long call queues. It's something we're working on bringing down.

I'm happy to help. Please let me know how you get on.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Hmm, I wasn't aware of this. Thanks for the links @ejs

@chris1440 I'll run a few tests on your line over the weekend to see if I can identify the cause of your slow speeds.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
chris1440
Hooked

Thanks for the reply. I managed to get hold of customer services and they said I would be contacted shortly by technical help and possibly arrange an engineer visit.
Still have less than 10mb download so it's not going well. Not sure how long it takes for a call back? It's been 24 hours already....
Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Looking into your account I can see that the adviser raised a fault on your service.

Our suppliers have identified a high utilisation issue on the VLAN that your circuit is built upon. They have advised us the estimated fix date is the 23rd December.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused. Our faults team will keep you updated.

chris1440
Hooked

Thanks for doing some fault finding.
I will speak to customer services about this when I do get called back, but I don't expect to be paying for fibre this month if I'm not actually receiving fibre speeds.
When you say the supplier do you mean open reach?
Anoush
Aspiring Hero

No problem. The faults team will be in touch within 3-5 days but recently it's been quicker than that; apologies if you were told 24 hours Sad

By supplier I was referring to BT wholesale but their supplier is Openreach. A bit of a chain of command for broadband faults.

chris1440
Hooked

A quick update. Speed is now down to 7mb. Had a call from the complaints department but not heard a word from the faults team at all.
Appreciate it's Xmas and not much is going to be done but I hope plusnet do put this right asap and compensate me accordingly.
Anoush
Aspiring Hero

I'm really sorry to hear your speed issue is still not fixed.

Looking through your account I can see that your fault ticket is still in hand with our faults team. The ticket came off hold on Friday, however, because of the bank holiday weekend, I would expect them to contact you within the next few days.

The review date with our suppliers is this Friday, as the VP report we check for exchange utilisation issues comes in weekly.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused. Sad

chris1440
Hooked

I'm still living with very slow speeds instead of the 76mb.  The latest test done on the BT wholesale speed checker is 7.16mb which is around what it has been for the past week.  I haven't been able to stream HD properly at all and sometimes some of the kids programs would not work properly over Christmas so I have had some disappointed children over xmas.

This slow speed issue was reported 3 weeks ago and all that has happened is that it has got slower.  

I have not had 1 phone call from the tech team at all since I logged the speed issues .

Even taking the Christmas period into it, I feel extremely let down.