Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow FTTC speeds

Jhchicks
Dabbler

Very slow FTTC speeds

Hello,
When I was on ADSL2+ via copper cables I was getting around 15meg (20meg top speed) download a drop of 25% and as a result I was happy to give PlusNet 5*.
Now I'm on FTTC I get around 20megs! (top speed 40megs) a drop of 50%! I give the service 1*.
Why the large drop in speed via FTTC?
PlusNet say that there is nothing wrong with the speeds I get - I don't agree!
Any thoughts?
J
21 REPLIES 21
sjptd
Grafter

Re: Very slow FTTC speeds

ADSL speeds depend mainly on your distance from the exchange.  FTTC speeds depend on distance from the cabinet, and drop off more quickly.  If you are say 2km from the exchange and 1km from the cabinet you may find FTTC speeds not that much better than ADSL ones.  This has nothing to do with your ISP.  There may be other issues that are ISP related, however.
Find your estimated speed at http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome and enter your telephone number.  That (usually) knows about the distances involved.
Run the speedtest at  http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and after the test choose ‘Further Diagnostics’ and post the speeds and the profiles that this gives.
Check your Plusnet profiel: https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate
Jhchicks
Dabbler

When I looked into FTTC speeds last year EVERY web site I viewed said I should get at least 32meg!
Being on a low income I find £10 per month for an extra 5meg increase in speed very expensive!
Had I have known this I would have stayed with 'copper' speed of 15megs.
I am very annoyed about this.
J
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear your having speed issues.
You were estimated at 32mbps but I can see your current speeds are around 25mbps.
Unfortunately our suppliers won't investigate this as it isn't enough of a drop.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Jhchicks
Dabbler

What? 50% not much of a drop?
What % does it have to be before it's 'too much of a drop'?
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Our suppliers will only investigate if your speeds drop below 30% of the original estimate.
Your original estimate was 32mbps and you should be getting around 22mbps at the moment so it is within the limits.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

A side question
Is the 30% from the clean estimate or the impacted estimate
bustermissy1961
Grafter

Quote from: Matthew
Our suppliers will only investigate if your speeds drop below 30% of the original estimate.
Your original estimate was 32mbps and you should be getting around 22mbps at the moment so it is within the limits.

Its a total cop out by BT to say that 30% is satisfactory when your paying for a premium service.Depending on your distance from your exchange and whatever factors come into it regarding what speeds your quoted by your ISP you should get those speeds, if not your ISP should sort it out. How can 30% be acceptable a 70% loss of speeds you were getting is shocking and expecting customers to pay for it.
Would you be happy if your customers said right i will give you only half my monthly payment no you wouldn't so why should customers be shafted just because BT think 30% is ok by them.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@Jhchicks
From reviewing your account your speeds haven't dropped 50%? When you signed up you were estimated at 32mbps and your speeds started at 27mbps dropping down to the 22mbps it is at the moment. Unfortunately FTTC speeds can drop due to a wide variety of factors the main one being crosstalk which builds up as more and more users swap over to fibre.
@Oldjim
As far as I'm aware it is off the clean estimate. The impacted estimate refers to lines which could suffer more from crosstalk or potential faults.
@bustermissy1961
Unfortunately speeds can drop on Fibre due to crosstalk and other factors. Where possible we will investigate and work with our suppliers however crosstalk is just the way fibre works. Whilst I understand people will have been getting higher speeds before there isn't anything we can do.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Jhchicks
Dabbler

I know it's been a long time since I left school and maths was not my best subject but.....40 - 20 = 20, or half of 40 = 50%!
How would you like it if after a hard days work you went into your local pub and ordered a pint of best bitter and was told what you could only have a half-pint but charged for a full pint?
You would happy to pay the full price?!
AndyH
Grafter

@ Jhchicks - What are your estimates like here https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ ?
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@Jhchicks
I think you may be getting confused with the headline speeds? The 30% refers to the estimated speed you were given when you upgraded not the "Up to 38/76mb" mentioned on our website?
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Jhchicks
Dabbler

&AndyH
FTTC Range A (clean) -      34.7 - 25.0 down, 7.4 - 5.7 up
FTTC Range B (impacted) - 27.3 - 14.0 down, 7.1 - 3.3 up
J
davenos
Rising Star

So you are never going to get 40mbps and those figures are inline with your estimate, as stated a few times your within the acceptable range(that is set by BT) and unless your speeds drop below the acceptable range nothing will be done.
bustermissy1961
Grafter

"FTTC speeds can drop due to a wide variety of factors the main one being crosstalk which builds up as more and more users swap over to fibre."
So what is the solution to this problem because surely if fibre is available people will want to be on it. Also will it state in the advertisements that if you join fibre broadband the more people wanting fibre in your area the slower the speeds your going to get. I very much doubt that, you will still get the spiel saying 76mb/20mb speeds being advertised when in fact that's not the case.
I got said spiel from a plusnet agent saying as i lived very near my exchange i should get as near the 80mb/20mb speeds as possible hence i signed up for 24 months. My speeds compared to some on here are very good but surely people shouldn't mislead customers into thinking they should get the speeds they say you should get just to get you into a contract. I was a few weeks away from being out of my plusnet contract when i found out i could get fibre broadband obviously i wanted in on it. I probably wouldn't have left but then again i certainly wouldn't have signed up for a 24 month contract.