Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very poor bandwidth recently - East London

rsmeeton87
Dabbler

Very poor bandwidth recently - East London

Hi,

Over the last couple of days we've been experienced approximately 10% of usual speeds on our line. We normally get 60mb/s however recently are getting the attached speeds:

Are there any problems reported in the area?

15 REPLIES 15
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Re: Very poor bandwidth recently - East London

Hi @rsmeeton87

Sorry to hear you're having broadband issues. No problems in that area we are aware of. I also could not find a fault when I ran a test on your line. Are these tests on a wired or wireless connection? if you are getting these results using a wired test then it is a cause of concern and we would need to do thorough checks where we would need to raise it as a fault. If you are only getting slow speeds on your wireless devices, the most likely explanation for the issue would be is that it is to do with Wireless interference. There is a setting on your router that can sometimes cause the problem you are currently experiencing and it the first thing I would recommend changing.

What we need to change are a couple of settings on the Wireless page of your router's menu. What we are doing is often called 'splitting the networks'.

To do it you will need to get hold of any device with an internet browser on, and it will need to be connected to your Plusnet WiFi or plugged in via an ethernet cable to the router.

1. Please open an internet browser and navigate to the address '192.168.1.254' by typing it into the address bar.

2. You should be greeted by the router's main menu page (saying Plusnet Hub One at the top left). On this screen please click 'Advanced settings' from the four main options at the top of the screen.

3. At this point it will ask you for a password otherwise it will not let you through to the next page, the password to type in here is on the same little card that has your WiFi password on it and is labelled as the 'Admin password for Hub Manager'. The next page is just a screen that asks if you are sure you want to go to the advanced settings page, please click 'Continue to advanced settings'.

4. Now there should be a set of subheadings in the purple bar at the top, go to 'Wireless' (first from the left). Then there is a second set of subheadings just below where you just clicked 'Wireless', please click on the option that says '5 GHz Wireless'

5. There are two things to change on this page: Firstly please ensure that 'Sync with 2.4 GHz' is set to No (this is the second option down). The other thing to change is the 'Wireless SSID' (this is the network name as it appears when you are looking for WiFi networks to join). It doesn't really matter what you change this to as long as it is different to the name that was already there, to avoid confusion I recommend leaving it the same but adding '5GHz' to the end. Once you have made these two changes click apply and 'yes I am sure'

6. That's the hard part done, the final thing to do is to go around each of your wireless devices one time and connect them to the 5GHz network that you just set a new name for, in much the same way as if you were connecting to the WiFi for the first time.  You may find that  some of your devices do not 'see' the 5GHz network, do not worry about this most older devices do not have the ability to see the 5GHz.
Once this has been done, please monitor the quality of the connection for a couple of days and get back in touch if there are still issues.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
rsmeeton87
Dabbler

Hi, 

This issue has been particularly bad over the last two days (all of Sunday and Monday evening). Would it be possible to run a test on my line? 

The speed is bad through wireless, and also direct ethernet connection to router. There has also been multiple drop-outs (router light going orange) 

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @rsmeeton87. Testing the line hasn't highlighted any issues; we're seeing your line in sync at 71.5mb.

Here's a RADIUS graph showing the drops we can see:

If the issues with your speed are also affecting wired connection, I'd advise completing our troubleshooting and getting connected into your test socket. If the issue then persists, please raise a fault here and let us know once done so we can pick this up.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
rsmeeton87
Dabbler

Ok will check again tonight, thanks 

rsmeeton87
Dabbler

The bandwidth continues to disappoint... either the speed of connection (DNS issues?) or the actual speed itself. 

For example all of today i've had terrible upload speed (similar to attached). This is really impacting how i can use the internet 

rsmeeton87
Dabbler

If I ping common websites I'm getting a lot of time outs as well, indicative packet loss:#

C:\Users\R>ping dailymail.co.uk

Pinging dailymail.co.uk [104.94.190.125] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 104.94.190.125: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=52
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 104.94.190.125: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=52

Ping statistics for 104.94.190.125:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 2, Lost = 2 (50% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 16ms, Maximum = 16ms, Average = 16ms

C:\Users\R>ping youtube.com

Pinging youtube.com [216.58.213.14] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 216.58.213.14: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=54
Reply from 216.58.213.14: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=54
Reply from 216.58.213.14: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=54
Request timed out.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @rsmeeton87, is this being seen over wired? Or was this done over a wireless connection?

Have you had a run through the checks I previously mentioned? If so can you raise a fault here so we can investigate further for you.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
rsmeeton87
Dabbler

wired!

Yes i ran the tests - awful upload as i said. See attached 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @rsmeeton87 

Your upload sync rate is at around 9mbps which is definitely way below where we'd expect it to be however as you're not seeing even this, before we arrange an engineer to investigate further please connect your computer/laptop to the router with an ethernet cable and run the BT Speedtester service at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com

You must ensure that you have no other programs running at the same time such as streaming, general browsing and the most common one is antivirus programs downloading updates in the background. 

Once the initial result is completed please click Further Diagnostics then type your phone number in and click run diagnostic test. This will run a test and send the results to the BT server for investigation.

Let us know once you've done this and we'll pick this back up as soon as possible.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
rsmeeton87
Dabbler

can you please tell me what my phone number is? Bizarely this information doesn't seem to be available anywhere on my online profile... 

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @rsmeeton87

If you log into the Member Centre and then click on the "Phone" tab, you'll see your phone number under the "Account Summary" header.

Best wishes

Dave

rsmeeton87
Dabbler

Thanks - the site is down for maintenance so i'll try again tomorrow 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No problem, I believe you can also see your phone number on the Billing tab.

Let us know once you've carried this test out.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
rsmeeton87
Dabbler

ive done this test now - results attached (terrible upload still)