Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very odd - FTTC slowly getting faster!

Stoker
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Very odd - FTTC slowly getting faster!

I've been on PlusNet fibre for severalyears. We're some 900m from the cabinet, with lots of aluminium wiring around, and at first got about 27mbps down and 3mb up. This  was close to the estimate.
Since then we've had several bouts of severely impacted upstream which dropped well under 1mbps, and downstream slowly dropped to 20mbps.
We had many ( ten or more?) OR visits which never found a fault; they always blamed crosstalk and REIN. Lift'n'shift and pair-swaps didn't help.
PlusNet tried very hard to get OR to "do something" after yet another slow-down around New Year, but without success, so we were resigned to around 20mb down and 2mb up (at least until vectoring or cheap FTTP).
However! Gradually since January speeds have been improving. I have an unlocked modem and can see that whole tone bands that were empty or barely used have been  filling bit by bit. Today I get:
Max: Upstream rate = 5200 Kbps, Downstream rate = 29076 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 4632 Kbps, Downstream rate = 27117 Kbps

and SNR is over 7 so there's still more to come.
I've been given all the reason by OR why speeds get slower over time, but why would they get better? I don't think this is DLM messing with us, and I've seen no sign of any recabling in the street; indeed several OR engineers have stated that BT won't replace ali with copper unless voice is affected.
I could understand a sudden improvement if the source of REIN disappeared, but this has happened slowly over many weeks.
4 REPLIES 4
GeordieMark
Grafter

Re: Very odd - FTTC slowly getting faster!

Maybe OR finally decided to replace some old joints / aluminium somewhere on your circuit, I'm going through the same thing with them now
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

I've had a look and I can't find anything official which would have caused any changes.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
picbits
Rising Star

Mine went from 73Mb to around 55Mb then it has crept up to 65Mb more recently so it does seem to move around a bit.
Stoker
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I wonder if my improved speed may be down to G.IMP being implemented.
xdslcmd info --stats now includes:
G.INP Framing: 18 18
G.INP lookback: 8 6
I'll see if I can dig out older logs from backups to see when that first appeared.