cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very limited wifi

marlenemcp
Hooked

Very limited wifi

Moved over to PlusNet on Friday (despite not receiving my router until Saturday) and have had issues with wifi since. The router light is blue, sky works fine as it is wired but ipads and phones keep getting disconnected. Each time I try and join the wifi network, a settings page opens. It shows that I am connected and there are no issues but gives no options other than to cancel or close which sees the device removed from the wifi network. I found a very similar post where they were advised to go into advanced settings, disconnect and then enter their broadband username in the format username@plusdsl.net and the account password. I did this last night and it was great. I went round reconnecting things and all was well until this morning when everything was disconnected again and following the advice failed to work this time. I moved to PlusNet because I was unhappy with my last provider but so far, I regret this move

13 REPLIES 13
Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

Re: Very limited wifi

Have you tried a factory reset by pushing a paperclip or similar into the reset hole and keeping the switch closed for at least 20 seconds?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear about the initial experience that you've had.

I've tested your line and I can see your router is stuck in it's automated setup.

To fix this can you try resetting the router as advised above?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
marlenemcp
Hooked

I haven't tried that as the lights are blue so I assumed the router itself was ok. What will resetting it do?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

It will put it back to the state it should have been when you first plugged it in. It will go back through the process of connecting you to Plusnet..

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

marlenemcp
Hooked

That didn’t work. The light eventually went back to blue but I still can’t connect to the WiFi
marlenemcp
Hooked

marlenemcp
Hooked

After following advice in another thread and resetting my password, I finally got the wifi up and running. However, I am not noticing any increase in speed at all. I upgraded to fibre and guaranteed access speed 34Mbps. I know its early to be running tests but the couple if did showed a download speed of 23.5 and upload 6.7 and the other showed download 23.68 (Max achievable 24.52 Mbps) with upload 5.33. Can Plusnet confirm I was actually upgraded? I did expect to see an improvement in speeds

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

No ISP will guarantee a speed over WiFi as there are just too many variables.

What they do guarantee is the speed to your router.

What speeds are shown under the Troubleshooting->Helpdesk tab on the routers homepage which can be found at 192.168.1.254 ?

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @marlenemcp

Testing your line shows your speed is running lower than we would expect.

Could you run through our troubleshooting guides here and if the issue persists please use this link to report a fault to us.

Please also remove any extension cables (if any connected). Let us know how you get on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
marlenemcp
Hooked

I ran through the guide, there are no issues with the phone line. I am now connected to wifi but it is no faster than my previous provider which is why I asked if I had been upgraded to fibre.

I have attached the laptop direct to the router, removed the plate from the master socket and connected to the test socket and the speeds are worse. I am unable to connect to the plusnet speed tester so used a couple of others

BT wholesale test came back with download 0, upload 3.51, ping latency 48.75, I couldn't run further diagnostics as I kept getting an error.

The Which test came back with download 9.6, upload 8 and response time 626ms.

Everything is working, just slower than expected

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for doing that and for raising a fault.

We'll need to arrange an engineer visit to further investigate, I'll update your fault ticket here shortly.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
marlenemcp
Hooked

What could the fault be? Before I agree to the engineer I want to check everything I can so I don’t end up getting charged. It works, it is just slow
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

It could be due to internal wiring, your router or something on the Openreach network.

As you've tried the test socket this should rule out your internal wiring and if you're using the router we sent you this is covered with a 12 month warranty period, so we won't charge you if the router is the cause of the problem.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet