cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very high ping spikes ALL THE TIME.

amandashannon66
Dabbler

Very high ping spikes ALL THE TIME.

I want to start this off with Plusnet has been possibly the worse customer service company I have ever been with. I have tried to use the live chat service Almost every day since this problem started and No one is ever avablble no matter how long I wait and the call times are always 30 min+.

We have 2 main devices on the internet and thats 2 computers. The internet is fine up untill both computers are turned on. My package should 100 percent be able to handle mulitpul devices as I have the Unlimited Fibre Extra deal. When I ping bbc.co.uk when bothj computers are on I have huge lag spikes every 20-30 secoonds which makes online gaming a nightmare. The strangest thing about it all is that the lag spikes only happen on 1 computer. 

12 REPLIES 12
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Re: Very high ping spikes ALL THE TIME.

Hi @amandashannon66

Coming from a gaming background myself I can't stress enough how gaming (unlike streaming that can buffer ahead or browsing that can load bits at a time) needs a constant connection so it can transfer small packets of data forward and back updating the game/server as to what actions your doing. This meaning wireless which can be interfered by a huge number of things isn't ideal for gaming and I'd always suggest a wired connection over Ethernet cable for a solid constant connection and if a trailing Ethernet cable isn't ideal to look into power line adapters as they use a houses electric wiring to transfer a much more solid signal. 

Can you please confimr if you are using a Wired or Wireless connection? 

Thanks,

MoR

amandashannon66
Dabbler

I am wired

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for getting back to us.

If possible are you able to provide screenshots showing the ping spikes so we can advise further?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
amandashannon66
Dabbler

Pinging this with nothing open on my pc and other pc browsing youtube. As I said this only happens when the other computer is on the internet.

amandashannon66
Dabbler

The 1st one is at its worse. This is usual now. (past 5 days)

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks for the update, please let us know if you can provide us with some screenshots showing the ping spikes. - Adam 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
amandashannon66
Dabbler

I attached 2 screen shots to the msgs above?

amandashannon66
Dabbler

another day another 1 responce, and there even repeats. Are you guys even real or are just bots. Further proving what I said in my opening para.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Probably worth you trying that ping test to the router IP: 192.168.1.254.
Should help determine which side of the router the problem is at.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

amandashannon66
Dabbler

Thanks for your responce. The ping to the router is no more than 6.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you use MTR instead of PING then you can look for problems in ping patterns on every network hop to your chosen target.

For example -

$ mtr bbc.co.uk
                                               Loss%    Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
  1.|-- My-Home-Router                          0.0%    100    0.1   0.1   0.1   0.2   0.0
  2.|-- vl241.ptw-ag02.plus.net                 0.0%    100    7.7   7.5   7.2   8.4   0.0
  3.|-- 84.93.253.123                           0.0%    100    8.3   8.3   7.8   9.0   0.0
  4.|-- core1-BE1.southbank.ukcore.bt.net       0.0%    100    8.6   8.4   7.9   8.8   0.0
  5.|-- peer8-et-0-0-2.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net  0.0%    100    8.8  10.2   8.3  16.7   3.2
  6.|-- 195.99.126.83                           0.0%    100    8.6   8.8   8.5   9.2   0.0
  7.|-- 151.101.128.81                          0.0%    100    7.6   7.8   7.4   8.4   0.0

As you're getting 6ms ping to your router, are you SURE that the PC isn't using WiFi ?

I'd expect less than 1ms wired (see above), and maybe 5ms to 7ms via WiFi

Instead of PINGing (or MTRing) to  bbc.co.uk  try  ntp.plus.net   as that is likely to be more timing consistent and is a few network hops closer.

Consider using IPv6 for your gaming, as the ping variation tends to be less than IPv4, and you'll probably see about a third less network hops to the game servers.  I find using the HE IPv6 tunnel gives more a consistent internet experience, and video streams are noticeably more stable (particularly YouTube). Yes it's a hassle initially setting it up, but it's free and the results are well worth the effort.  Of course it would be better if Plusnet provided native IPv6 like BT and many other ISPs, but using the tunnel means you can enjoy the benefits of IPv6 now,

Have a look in your router configuration and see whether you can change the QoS (Quality of Service) rate setting to about 85% of your broadband connection upload speed.  If you can do that then you might find IPv4 pings are more stable when both of your PCs are active.

Try setting up a ThinkBroadband Broadband Quality Monitor, to produce ping graphs 24/7 so that you can see how your connection is performing at different times of day.  Seeing the pings graphically might give a clue as to what your problem is, and you can observe whether improvements (such as changing QoS) make a visible difference to the overall ping pattern.

Wink

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @amandashannon66,

Thank you for getting back to us confirming the ping to the router's IP, we really appreciate it. I think at this stage we need you to rule out any internal causes outlined in the ticket here, as if it still persist we will need to arrange an engineer.

Please get back to us letting us know if the issue persists after the checks are completed.

Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team