cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very close to ditching PlusNet

ianpenfold
Hooked

Very close to ditching PlusNet

I have been with PlusNet virtually from the start and have always been more than satisfied with their service until now.

A few months back I started getting multiple line drops per day which neither PN or OR could solve.  It was finally agreed to perform something called a "lift and shift" which for all intents and purposes gives me a brand new broadband connection.

Great I thought, no more disconnects which has proven true.

But, and there is always a but isn't there?  Where before the L&S I was getting 25-28 mbps I am now down to 5 and 6.  To say that I have been given the run around by tech support, including being told blatant lies regarding sending me a new router, is an understatement.  I now have to spend another morning waiting for an OR engineer, the nth one, to tell me that he can't find a fault.  

Yes I know the line test OK and that the PN equipment and my router reports the line connection as 40meg but the OR speedtest reports 5 or 6 meg and if I download a 100mb test file from my domain it takes over 4 minutes to arrive.

In the meantime I am paying, and have been for the past few months, for a service that I am not receiving.  If PN would stop spending £s on attracting new customers that they cannot service correctly and spent that money on training tech support rather than employing script followers things may improve. 

In terms of quality of service and cost I was far better off when on ADSL

If there is no solution found on this next engineers visit, this Monday AM, I i shall be looking to decamp and move over to Zen who although more expensive do employ properly trained staff.

15 REPLIES 15
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Very close to ditching PlusNet

A warm welcome to the forums.

Which router are you using? (Note there are a number of ‘plusnet’ Routers).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ianpenfold
Hooked

Hello,

It is the Sagecom PN Hub 1 but I have tested with other routers  and they make no difference,

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Which other routers? BTHH or something completely different?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ianpenfold
Hooked

1 was an oldish PN and 2 other makes belonging to neighbours.

Before the lift and shift speeds were fine.  As soon as they moved my connection it all went slow. Same router, same cabling. 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

OK thanks - wanted to rule out an angle in the PN router.

This needs to be picked up by a staffer...

dgilbert2
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

If connecting to the router by ethernet cable for testing, what does  http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ report? Also, follow through and do the Further Diagnostics.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Sorry to hear about the issues you've had.

I can see we've now raised a escalation with our suppliers to get this resolved.

Let us know how you get on after the visit

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
ianpenfold
Hooked

This morning, just after 0800, I lost connection which I assume was the engineer jiggling something although I have not the usual phone call from him.  The connection is now back up but speed now 3mbps !!!  I have run the OR speed test and sent the results through to the server. 

I can see this being the end of my relationship with PlusNet.

A very unhappy bunny!!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Whilst one can understand your annoyance and frustration, changing ISP will not change your phone line or the people on the ground who jiggle the wires. Line speed is entirely governed by BT Openreach, not the ISP.

ianpenfold
Hooked

I understand that but at least Zen hopefully has a better trained tech support and one that doesn't tell bare faced untuths ie sending me out a new router!  

I realise there is nothing I can do regarding OR but I can show my dissatisfaction with PN by voting with my wallet.

ianpenfold
Hooked

Just had a call from the engineer who is apparently on his way (about 45 minutes away) so the earlier disconnect was nothing to do with him. Apologies.  Fingers crossed.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Glad to hear the engineer is on there way to you.

I'll do my best to follow things up with you later this afternoon by which point the engineer should have finished their work and uploaded their notes. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ianpenfold
Hooked

OK. The engineer has been and gone and gave the connection a 100% pass.  Totally steady and 39mbps+.  

Has suggested that the router is running very hot and needs replacing (as was promised by a PN tech last week. Ahem!!)

ianpenfold
Hooked

Meant to add that speed test is still only showing 5-6mbps at my end. Once I get a new router I will replace my network card.  I don't want to do that before in case the router is blowing something on the card.