cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Slow Wireless Speeds

SpeedMeUpScotty

Very Slow Wireless Speeds

Hi All,

I recently joined PlusNet after my BT contract expired. I have the Unlimited Fibre Package (38mb at the time I think) however am experiencing very slow wireless speeds, 1.0mb/s on the BT Wholesale speed test. Wired speeds return a speed test result of 39mb/s. This is using the master plug directly and the PlusNet router.

When using the BT Broadband HH5, wireless speeds were great as well as wired.

I have used a Wi-Fi analyser on my phone to seek out the best channel to use and tried a variety of channels. I have separated the 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz networks, but they are as bad as each other.

Is there anything else I can try?

I am at the stage where I might cancel and go back with BT, as the wireless speed has never been good since the day we switched over.

I think the router is at fault but PlusNet will only send a new one out as a last resort. I am regretting returning the BT HH5 as I could have tested it!!

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Very Slow Wireless Speeds

If you were happy with the HH5, why not just use that? You just need to enter your PN username and password. There is a sticky showing how its done.

SpeedMeUpScotty

BT requested that I return the HH5, so I sent it back!

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Ah, that's unusual.

SpeedMeUpScotty

BT sent me packaging to return it.

Just been doing some digging on here, and if I have to buy my own router to solve this issue then all the saving from switching from BT will be wiped out.

Do the support team ever look on here?

Thanks

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

PN,s free router is not the best Sad 

Plenty of people here have their own , Even HH5 can be bought on Ebay for £25 .

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
bobminors
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@SpeedMeUpScotty

The actual wireless connection speed for each device is visible in the router. If you go to Advanced Settings / Devices and click on one in the chart, it will give you that information. Are you saying that you are getting wireless connection speeds as low as 1Mbps, or is it that you are only getting that as actual throughput?

Also, do you have the firewalls turned on, both in the router (Advanced Settings / Firewall / Configuration ) and on the PlusNet server?