Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Slow VPN Speeds

Farley

Very Slow VPN Speeds

Hi,

I think I have a throttling issue.

When going through a work-based VPN I seem to lose 75% of my speeds?

Any suggestions? DO Plus-net throttle VPNs?

@bobpullen I see you have commented on this before, could you help please.

With more working from home, it is becoming a real problem.

5 REPLIES 5
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Re: Very Slow VPN Speeds

Hi @Farley 

Plusnet no longer throttle any protocol as the ASA ruled that ISP's could not market broadband as unlimited - if the throttled protocols.

I think it is more likely that the work VPN cannot support faster speeds, especially if most employees are working from home.

My work VPN can be slow during working hours but speeds up in the evenings / overnight.

Regards

Richard

cpc6128
Dabbler

Hi @Farley ,

Do you get faster speeds when you are not connected to the VPN?

Can you ask your work IT if *all* traffic goes through the vpn when connected or if it is splitting the traffic?

Can you also ask if the VPN throttles?

Traffic going through the VPN will be encrypted both sending and receiving and this adds a overhead, but not as much as you are seeing.

nsi-ltd

Hi Farley,

One of the problems you may encounter when using a VPN is when you are copying files between file shares within the corporate infrastructure then progress can be excruciatingly slow.  This is likely due to the data being transferred to your local machine (download speed) and then being pushed back (upload speed).  It is the lower upload speed that gives a poor user experience.  I have had several multi-GB files to move like this with transfer speeds of about 300 kB/s.

Steve

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

It could be a congestion issue along the way, that depends on where your work VPN is located and whether it hops abroad, etc.

Worth trying a traceroute to your VPN and see how it goes. May have to post it to someone privately (I wouldn't post that in pubic). It could be something outside of PlusNet's network.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@cpc6128 wrote:

Can you ask your work IT if *all* traffic goes through the vpn when connected or if it is splitting the traffic?

This is a good question.

If the VPN does not support split tunnelling then all of your traffic is going to be subject to the overheads imposed by the VPN. The VPN traffic is only ever going to perform within the bounds of whatever upload capacity is available at the remote side.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵