Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Slow VPN Speeds

humanoid769
Dabbler

Very Slow VPN Speeds

Hi

I use a Liberty VPN Router to help protect my family  and their devices while on the internet but I notice that f I do not use VPN my speeds are 50+ but as soon as I enable VPN it drops down to around 5-10mbps... This makes day to day working and Netflix usage very hard to use. 

I have tried other VPN Clients like ExpressVPN, ProtonVPN and PureVPN and they all have the same problem.

Is there something I am missing or do PlusNet throttle VPN Clients?

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Very Slow VPN Speeds

@humanoid769 - I’m no expect but I would think that the provider would determine your VPN’s capacity and would have nothing to do with Plusnet. I would also guess that if you were willing to pay or pay more money they would increase the Upstream / Downstream bandwidth allocated to you. 

humanoid769
Dabbler

Thanks for your response @Anonymous The Liberty service and ALL of the others I have tried have been paid services... Each one of them when I have been onto support are saying that it is the ISP .. I am just lost now as it is fine if I attach it to a Virgin Fibre router 😞

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's interesting, I would have thought the opposite, as Plusnet would simply have seen it as a connection so it will be interesting to see what Plusnet have to say on this. I wonder if @bobpullen or anyone else can shed some light on this.

humanoid769
Dabbler

When I spoke with them yesterday I just got an answer "We don't support VPN" on our residential package

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

What is very slow speeds?
Whenever you use a VPN then you will always have slower throughput and higher latency.
I used PIA and depending on node / time of day could lose about 8mbit - but that's still plenty of bandwidth for streaming etc.
I'm surprised Netflix works at all - they have blocked most VPN connections now.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I use a VPN client on the computer rather than a router - have you tried that as well?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
humanoid769
Dabbler

Yes I have tried client software as well... The attached picture was using Express VPN on Android and Laptop

humanoid769
Dabbler

Thanks.. I have added a picture to show the difference .. I lose 80% of my speed

humanoid769
Dabbler

another one that believes my ISP is throttling the VPN

throttle.JPG

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Why exactly are you using a VPN? What are you expecting it to protect you against?

It'll stop Plusnet being able to see what you're doing on the Internet, but your VPN provider will be able to see what you're doing instead.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

I'd need to understand more about how this is set up before offering comment. I assume it's a physical box connected to a router we've supplied? If the VPN device is removed entirely and a software client used then does that help? The Hub One has limitations on the EWAN port that could explain what you're seeing (although the impacted speeds you're reporting are still well below what I'd expect).
Assuming you're on an unmetered residential package, we don't throttle VPN traffic.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

humanoid769
Dabbler

Hi @bobpullen

Yes LibertySheild Provide a pre-configured router which you plug into the plusnet router so this created the vpn. I get the same performance wether i used the router or any client software. and i am on Unlimited Fibre Extra 

humanoid769
Dabbler

Hi @ejs

I am a freelance consultant and use it to connect to clients sites plus we like to use things like Netflix USA and also I travel a lot so would like to access thinkgs like the BBC iplayer when overseas

Thanks

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

So when you're using the software client, is the physical device removed from the network? If you can tell me what software clients you've tried then I'm happy to try replicating the issue?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵