cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Slow Fibre Speed

andrewtjarvis

Very Slow Fibre Speed

Plusnet,
I have registered this issue on the main website (support ticket 93425090).
However, as I can see that PlusNet employees read this board maybe I can get some traction here as I'm still awaiting a response from my original support ticket raised some days ago.
Using a wired ethernet connection straight to the router, according to speedtest.btwholesale.com I am getting the following:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 18.15 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 61.95 Mbps-77.44 Mbps . Additional Information: IP Profile for your line is - 77.44 Mbps

I personally don't think this is acceptable. Please can someone contact me about improving this poor performance.
Plusnet Account same as UserID as this forum.
Thanks,
Andrew
16 REPLIES 16
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Very Slow Fibre Speed

What is your current line speed here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed ?
Can you run this speed test http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html and post the graph image?
andrewtjarvis

Telephone number:
012XXXXXXX6
Phone exchange:
LXXXXXX
Estimated line speed: 40Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-09-23 19:15:58
Current line speed: 77.4 Mb

AndyH
Grafter

There doesn't appear to be anything settings wise limiting your speed at Plusnet or BT's end.
I assume you're using the Plusnet supplied router?
Is anyone else using your connection? Do you have any background programmes running on your computer that might be using bandwidth?
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Hi,
There is a potential error on your line which I'm raising to our supplier. However, I'd like to see the answers to AndyH questions so that we can rule everything out for you.
Thanks,
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
andrewtjarvis

No one else is using my connection. I recently performed a completely fresh install of windows, so I doubt I have any malware utilsing my connection.
I was not running any other applications during the download tests.
I am using the supplied Plusnet router and Openreach modem.
andrewtjarvis

Ran another test and got the following:

Not sure what is causing the variability of my connection.
AndyH
Grafter

The only thing that might be worth trying (if you've not done so already) is a disconnect/reconnect from your Plusnet router.
I suppose it's like this all the time and doesn't vary at different times of the day?
andrewtjarvis

Quote from: AndyH
The only thing that might be worth trying (if you've not done so already) is a disconnect/reconnect from your Plusnet router.
I suppose it's like this all the time and doesn't vary at different times of the day?

Connection seems to vary from 10-25 Mbps, but doesn't approach the 40 Mbps I pay for, nor the 77 Mbps the line should/could deliver if everything worked ok.
andrewtjarvis

Quote from: plusnettony
Hi,
There is a potential error on your line which I'm raising to our supplier. However, I'd like to see the answers to AndyH questions so that we can rule everything out for you.
Thanks,
Tony

Thanks. Appreciate the quick response.
andrewtjarvis

Right now plugged directly to router I can get 70 Mbps apparently, but on the computer upstairs, connected by powerline adapters (which are apparently capable of 200 Mbps) I can only get 20-25 Mbps?
This sounds like problems at my end. Does anyone have any recommendations for decent powerline adapters?
andrewtjarvis

Wow do I feel stupid now...swapped out my powerline adaptors for some new TP-Link ones and speed has drastically increased. Mods should probably change the name of this thread to "Idiot who can't tell what he is doing reports low speed, wrongly blames ISP"

AndyH
Grafter

Ah, that explains it then.
Are the TP Link the 500Mbps ones?
andrewtjarvis

AndyH
Grafter

I think the technology must have improved in them.
It's worth seeing what the potential line fault found by Tony was, because this may still be affecting your line.