cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Slow Fiber speed after upgrade from ADSL

wmackay
Grafter

Re: Very Slow Fiber speed after upgrade from ADSL

Thanks for booking the engineer. The speed is still at 5.5Mbps. Is it possible to get the banding reset. Is a fault still showing? Is it possible the a GEA test and radius test?

Also I have a mechanical bell which is filtered by the MK4 vdsl faceplate, could this cause issues when the bell rings, enough for the DLM to band my profile?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting back to us @wmackay

I'm afraid we aren't able to provide a GEA test as whenever there's an engineer booked we're unable to run the test until after the engineer visit.

I've provided the RADIUS graph for you below

With regards to the profile itself it appears your line is banded however by the time we'd be able to arrange for this to be reset it would likely be the same day the engineer goes out so you'd see next to no benefit

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
wmackay
Grafter

Thank you for the reply. Hopefully it gets resolved by the OR engineer this time. If this doesn't get resolved, is it possible to downgrade to ADSL as I was getting 3 times faster speed ( 15Mbps on ADSL compared to 5.5Mbps on FTTC)?

Also I have a mechanical bell which is filtered by the MK4 vdsl faceplate, could this cause issues when the bell rings, enough for the DLM to band my profile?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @wmackay 

Due to the length of time we've been investigating and the number of engineers we've sent, I'd be happy to downgrade you to standard broadband without penalty. We'll discuss that further and cross that bridge if we come to it though.

With regards to your mechanical bell, I wouldn't have thought this would trigger DLM to band your line.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Gandalf wrote:

With regards to your mechanical bell, I wouldn't have thought this would trigger DLM to band your line.

@wmackay Having said that, if the next engineer doesn’t find a fault either although I’m really hoping they do, it may be worth disconnecting the mechanical bell to see if the problem goes away. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
wmackay
Grafter

It is good the engineer has hopefully found the fault. It is disappointing that is has taken 5 OR engineers to discover a faulty port. Hopefully this will be resolved on Monday. Will an engineer come to the house after the port has been changed?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yeah it’s disappointing to see how many engineers we arranged before a fault was identified and steps put in place to fix.

Normally the engineer who goes out to repair or replace the faulty port on the back of the LLUMS case should leave you with a working service without the need for another visit. 

Fingers crossed this is sorted next week. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
wmackay
Grafter

I have updated my support ticket.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @wmackay I’ll pick this up when I’m in the office this afternoon. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
wmackay
Grafter

I have updated my support ticket.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks @wmackay I'll pick it up soon.

As a heads up you don't need to nudge us here once you've updated the ticket if you don't want to that is.

The ticket is in my workflow and I make sure everything in there is responded to every day I'm in the office. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
wmackay
Grafter

I am due to downgrade to ADSL on Friday. However yesterday I was getting my cooker repaired and the power was off for about 15 minutes. Once the power came back on my speed was at 31Mbps and today it is at 33Mbps. Did the router being off for that length of time reset my profile? Or is there another reason for this? Is it possible to get a GEA test and radius test ran.

Is it possible to stop the downgrade to ADSL to see if my speed stays at this?

Attached speed test and router stats.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @wmackay It's good to see your speeds have improved yesterday. I've looked into this and it's difficult to see what caused this and if the underlying issue behind your speeds continually dropping to 6mbps is resolved.

Here's a copy of the GEA Test I've just completed:

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID [redacted]

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 40.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 6.9 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 898.5
Upstream Rate Assessment Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-6.4M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Interleaving On
Time Stamp 2019-12-05T11:15:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 6.3 Mbps 39.9 Mbps 29.8 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 5.2 Mbps 20.0 Mbps 6.6 Mbps
Up Time 155.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 897.7 Sec
Retrains 0.0 5.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-12-17T11:01:01.723+00:00 2019-12-17T11:16:01.723+00:00
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

The Profile Name shown above is a bit out of date, I've checked the profile on a different system and it's showing as of yesterday your profile moved from 6.4mbps to 40mbps.

Here's also a copy of your connection going back 7 days:

What may be helpful is to look at the speed change history (I've attached below), these are the times we've received a notification our suppliers to advise your sync speed had changed.

They more or less match up to the drops above, although I'd bear in mind that these notifications often come through some time after the actual sync speed changes.

Provisioned Provided  
Date BT Product Speed Contention Speed Profile Event
2019-12-16 11:09:17 WBC FTTC Annex A 10Mbit/s, Standard Stability 40000   38400 Generic Speed 38400 No Time Out Speed update by Delta Report
2019-12-13 07:53:44 WBC FTTC Annex A 10Mbit/s, Standard Stability 40000   6100 Generic Speed 6100 No Time Out Speed update by Delta Report
2019-12-11 21:46:00 WBC FTTC Annex A 10Mbit/s, Standard Stability 40000   38400 Generic Speed 38400 No Time Out Speed update by Delta Report
2019-12-10 04:21:33 WBC FTTC Annex A 10Mbit/s, Standard Stability 40000   6100 Generic Speed 6100 No Time Out Speed update by Delta Report
2019-12-06 19:06:44 WBC FTTC Annex A 10Mbit/s, Standard Stability 40000   38400 Generic Speed 38400 No Time Out Speed update by Delta Report

I've cancelled the product change to standard broadband on your account and with our suppliers now, I'd be able to re-submit it if you'd want me to though.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
wmackay
Grafter

My speed is back down to 5.8Mbps this morning. Can I go ahead with the downgrade?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @wmackay I'm sorry to see your speeds have dropped. I've arranged this now and I'll confirm when your service will downgrade within the next 24 hours. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet