cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Slow Fiber speed after upgrade from ADSL

wmackay
Grafter

Re: Very Slow Fiber speed after upgrade from ADSL

When the engineer came on Friday, he initially though it the fault was cause by corrosion on the line and would be testing outside. After a couple of hours he came back saying there was no fault on the line and it was caused by "low voltage interference". The line was reset and my speed was back to 30+Mbps after he left. By the next morning (Saturday) my speed was back to 5.5Mbps.

What is the way ahead, as this is unacceptable? I had 15Mbps on ADSL before I "upgraded" to FTTC. An "upgrade" to 3 times slower!! 

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks for getting back to us @wmackay.

On re-testing the line we're again not showing any sort of issue, with our diagnostics detecting the speed as being  the full 40mbps.

However, as you're still experiencing issues, I've rejected Openreach's report that the fault has been cleared and we now await their update which we'd expect within the next 3 working days.

We appreciate your patience in this matter.

wmackay
Grafter

Does the OpenReach report say they fixed anything or just that initially there was a fault and then after 2 hours of testing it had gone?

I will try to post detailed router stats tonight. I seens OpenReach reset the DLM and then over the it kicks in and bands me to 6Mbps.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @wmackay 

I'm sorry to see you've been experiencing intermittently dropping speeds. I've reviewed the fault and I can see the three engineers we've sent have not left any notes, with the last two engineers clearing the fault report as no fault found.

It does look like the engineer carried out a DLM reset which improved your speeds although I'm not confident that we've found and fixed the root cause for the problem so while I hope not, it's likely your speeds may drop down again.

At this stage I'd recommend monitoring this and if you continue to experience frequent drops in your speed, could you let us know and we'll raise an escalation with Openreach before another engineer visit.

The escalation will be to request a multi-skilled engineer is assigned to carry out a thorough investigation and all quality checks in an effort to get to the bottom of the fault that's causing your intermittent speeds and connection.

Apologies for the inconvenience this causes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
wmackay
Grafter

The speed has come back up today to 30+Mbps and SNR margin down to 9.8.

Yeah the DLM reset brings the speed back up but I don't believe the root cause as been fixed.

I will keep monitoring and let you know when the speed comes back down.

Thank you for raising an escalation. Hopefully that will get to the bottom of it.

wmackay
Grafter

Just realised I uploaded the wrong stats.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem @wmackay Speeds are looking good, hopefully they'll just stay that way.

I've not raised an escalation yet but I'd be happy to if the problem returns. To raise an escalation with Openreach there'd need to be an open fault which generally means there'd need to be an engineer booked in as this opens a fault. Faults are normally auto-closed with Openreach following an engineer visit unless the engineer identifies further work is required.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
wmackay
Grafter

The speed off my broadband as been unstable;

Monday PM 25Mbps

Tuesday 5.9Mbps

Wednesday 5.9Mbps

Thursday 7th 18Mbps

So there is still a fault. Is anything showing on your end? Can I get an engineer booked and get this escalated?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm sorry to see you're still experiencing speed problems.

If you can add a reply to your fault ticket Here with your availability for an engineer visit, dropping us a reply once here once you've responded we'll get the engineer booked in and the fault escalated. When providing availability, I'd start from next week as this will allow our suppliers escalation team time to escalate this with the engineers on the ground.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
wmackay
Grafter

I've updated the support ticket.
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Thanks @wmackay,

That's all been booked for you and the ticket updated confirming. 

wmackay
Grafter

The openreach engineer came today. After testing the master socket he found no faults and the same at the internal socket. He decided to move the master socket to the location of the internal socket, therefore removing it. With his test equipment in the filtered master socket he was getting 30+Mbps. With the router connected is was only 5Mbps. Therefore he said it is a faulty router. I would like a replacement sent out.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've looked into this for you and I don't believe the slow throughput is due to the router being faulty. On Monday afternoon the profile on your account changed to 6mbps to reflect your sync speed dropping about then.

Looks like the sync speed improved when the engineer was around but the profile was still stuck at that level. I've increased the profile now, can you reboot your router letting us know how your speed looks?

If you continue to experience intermittent speed problems, then we'll need to arrange another engineer, making our suppliers escalation team aware this is an intermittent sync speed issue as opposed to throughput.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
wmackay
Grafter

I rebooted the router last night and had 37Mbps. Very disappointing it is back to 5.9Mbps this morning. What is the way ahead with this?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm sorry to see your speeds have dropped again. Unfortunately as your line speed hasn't recovered by itself, there'd be nothing we'd be able to do in the meantime to bring your speeds back up.

To investigate further, I'm afraid we'd need to arrange another engineer visit. Could you reply to your ticket 195564529 with when you'd be free for this? If possible I'd start from next week to allow time for our suppliers escalation team to escalate this with the engineers on the ground. Apologies for the inconvenience this causes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet