cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Slow Fiber speed after upgrade from ADSL

wmackay
Grafter

Re: Very Slow Fiber speed after upgrade from ADSL

After having speeds of 30+Mbps for a week my speed is now very disappointingly back to 5Mbps. my IP profile is at 6Mbps. What is the way ahead with this?

wmackay
Grafter

And my SNR margin is at 30.5. I rebooted my router but if stayed the same.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @wmackay, I am sorry for the issues that you're having. I have tested the line and we are seeing a sync speed of 40mb and no faults detected. The connection profile was at 6mb which I've now increased, but this may not make much difference.

If you have rebooted the router and the issue persists, I'd advise raising a new fault here (and letting us know once done) so we can pick this up and investigate further. If not already, I'd also advise keeping your router connected into the test socket for the time being.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
wmackay
Grafter

I will reboot the router later and move it to the test socket as well. Why is my line repeatedly being set to a 6Mb profile?

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @wmackay,

I think that, on this occasion at least, the speed profile has dropped to 6Mbps as the connection has been dropping out over the last few days and the delta speed report, which informs the speed profile you should be on, hasn't had time to update. As this is the case, I would recommend setting the router up within the test socket in the property, if it isn't already. For reference we have a guide on how to do this here. Please let us know once you've had the chance to do so, or if you've already done so and it hasn't had any affect.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
wmackay
Grafter

The router is now in the test socket. The speed has come up to 30+Mbps and the SNR margin down to 9.6. It probably came back up due the profile being reset and the connection being reconnected.

How long should it take with the router being in the test socket to show if the fault is internal or external?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, 

As you saw some improvement straight away that's likely to mean that there's an issue with the way the router is usually connected to the line. Do you have any extensions connecting from the master socket to other parts of your property?

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
wmackay
Grafter

That contradicts what I told by @Gandalf 

"Looking at your connection log (Below) I suspect that when you moved your router back to the internal socket on the 12th October, this disconnection caused the profile from the 8th October to take effect."

I was stuck on 6Mb profile and after the profile was reset and I moved the router from the test socket to my internal socket by speed improved straight away. So after a profile reset, a reconnect either by rebooting the router or moving the router to either the internal socket or the master socket will improve the speed straight away.

This is how my router is usually connected.

NTE5C master socket - MK4 VDSL faceplate - 2m of Cat6 cable - RJ11 faceplate - router

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

OK, it's likely to be an issue with the faceplate in that case. Could you try reconnecting it so we can run some tests to compare to how things are presently? - Adam 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
wmackay
Grafter

Morning, I have left the router in the test socket and the speed had stayed above 30Mbps but then this morning it is down to 6Mbps. Which shows there is still an external fault? What is the way ahead with this?

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi there @wmackay, I'm really sorry that this is still ongoing.

Testing today shows that your line is indeed underperforming.

I can see you've raised a new fault. Ideally the next step is for us to arrange an engineer to investigate once more.

If you could reply to the following ticket HERE and let us know when you've done so, we'll get the booking arranged.

wmackay
Grafter

I have updated the ticket.

Is the line showing a fault? What is the results of GEA tests?

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Thanks for getting back to me @wmackay, I've made the booking for Friday 1st November between 8am and 1pm.

I've forwarded confirmation via ticket. I hope the slot is okay, but let us know if this needs rearranging.

wmackay
Grafter

Thanks for booking it. The time is good. Hopefully get to the bottom of the issue and get it fixed.

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

No worries @wmackay,

Let us know how it goes please.

Faris
 Plusnet Help Team