cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Slow Fiber speed after upgrade from ADSL

wmackay
Grafter

Very Slow Fiber speed after upgrade from ADSL

I have upgraded from ADSL to FTTC last month and now my download speed is lower. My minimum guaranteed speed is 30Mbps but I am only getting 6.4Mbps which is very slow for FTTC. I have tried connecting the router to the test socket but this has made no difference. I have raised this as a fault and I am waiting for a reply.

Any help with this issue would be appreciated.

119 REPLIES 119
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Re: Very Slow Fiber speed after upgrade from ADSL

Hi @wmackay 

I've just tested your circuit and can confirm that your router is syncing at 40Mbps; 

Test OutcomePass

Test Outcome CodeGTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000

DescriptionGEA service test completed and no fault found .

Main Fault LocationOK

Sync StatusIn Sync

Downstream Speed40.0 Mbps

Upstream Speed6.8 Mbps

Appointment RequiredN

Fault Report AdvisedN

NTE Power StatusPowerOn

Voice Line Test ResultPass

Bridge TapNot Detected

Radio Frequency IngressNot Detected

Repetitive Electrical Impulse NoiseNot Detected

Cross TalkNot Detected

Estimated Line Length In Metres907.4

Upstream Rate AssessmentGood

Downstream Rate AssessmentVery Good

Home Wiring ProblemNot Detected

Downstream Policing Discard Rate0.0

Customer Traffic LevelUpstream and Downstream Traffic Detected

TechnologyVDSL

Profile Name0.128M-40M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off

Can you let us know if you are noticing these speeds over wires or wireless connections? 

Thanks, 

MoR

wmackay
Grafter

Thank you for your reply. the low speed is on all devices connect by WiFi is phones, tablet, pc and sky box. I'm an going to get a 5m ethernet cable to test the speed from the pc.
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @wmackay,

Please let us know how it goes.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
wmackay
Grafter

I managed to get hold of an ethernet cable to test the connection. Just as I was about to test it, I got a reply to my fault. My connection profile was set to 6Mbps. I rebooted the router and now I am getting over 30Mbps on both wired and wireless connections.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @wmackay 

Thanks for letting us know! 

If you ever need more help in the future then just give us a yell. 

All the best, 

MoR

wmackay
Grafter

It is now back down to 5.8Mbps on both wired and wireless this morning. Rebooting the router makes no difference.
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @wmackay

Thanks for confirming this - it looks as though your line profile speed is being driven down because of the drops that are affecting your connection. Your line has a program called DLM (Dynamic Line Management) which will slow down your broadband speed in an attempt to stablise your line if it detects drops - unfortunately, this has meant that your speed is now much lower than it should be and as the drops continue, you're stuck in a loop or drops/speed reduction.

I've re-tested your line and there's a potential issue that needs to be raised to our suppliers. If you're already in the test socket of your premises, I'd suggest raising a new fault so that we can escalate this on your behalf.

Best wishes

Dave

wmackay
Grafter

I have just reconnect the router to the test socket. So hopefully that will show where the fault is. How long should it take for the speed to come back up if it is an internal wiring fault?

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @wmackay,

Thanks for getting back to us. I have tested your line again this afternoon and we're still detecting a fault. As this is the case we'll need to look into booking an engineer visit and I've raised a ticket regarding this on your account, which can be viewed here. Please let us know once you've had the chance to respond to the ticket and we'll pick this back up for review as soon as possible.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
wmackay
Grafter

I have replied to the ticket with available time slots.
Do I need to leave the router connected to the test socket now the fault has been found the external side of the line?
wmackay
Grafter

Running a speed test this morning, my line speed is now 36Mbps. Is there still a fault showing on the line?

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @wmackay,

I can see that you've spoken to our Tech Support team regarding this earlier today. It appears that the fault is now resolved, however if any further problems occur then please let us know and we'll be happy to pick this back up for investigation.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
wmackay
Grafter

The speed of the line is back down to 5.8Mbps this morning. Is there a fault showing on the line?

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @wmackay,

One of my colleagues has picked the fault up and will be giving you a call shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Faris
 Plusnet Help Team