Venting spleen on connection speed.

swallman01

Venting spleen on connection speed.

I've just received the confirmation of my line speed as:

Download: 24 - 31Mb
Upload: 4 - 6Mb

Current line speed: 24Mb

Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 22.6Mb

When I first connected with Plusnet the initial speed was 35mb and over the last 14 days I’ve watched the connection drop to 32 then 27, then 25 then 24mb. Here’s my speedtest history.

My issue is that I had been quoted similar guideline speeds from my last two fibre broadband providers – Vodafone and before them BT.  My connection with both companies settled around the 29-30mb speed – i.e. Pretty close to the top end of the range. I’m now in a situation where I am paying 10% more than I was paying Vodafone, for a connection speed that is 20-30% slower.

If I were feeling particularly cynical I might notice a little more than co-incidence that you have 14 days to cancel a contract but you also have to wait 14 days for the line speed to "settle". I might also suspect that my line speed has settled at the lowest end of the range and is the minimum guarantee + 10%

Given that Plusnet is, quite correctly, delivering speeds within their range and above the Minimum Guarantee, my options would seen to be either live with another 17.5 months of regret until the contract ends or try and upgrade the service to Fibre Broadband extra (assuming it's available in my area) and pay even more with the hope of getting either the same or better connection.

3 REPLIES 3
TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Venting spleen on connection speed.

There was obviously a reason for leaving both Vodafone and BT but do you still have time to cancel and go back to either of them?

Mine took the best part of a month to settle which I have to say is strange when it is the same piece of wire but that seems to be how the process works.

If you have a BT HH6 router I would suggest giving that a try. It improved my "ifffy" connection considerably.

swallman01

Hi TeeGee,

My only reason for switching is financials and signup incentives... I churn through bank accounts the same way. 

I don't have a BT HH6 sadly,  I specifically purchased a TP Archer VR600 to maximise connection and wifi coverage. I'd rather not think about the speed/coverage I might have if I remained with the standard router.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

or try and upgrade the service to Fibre Broadband extra (assuming it's available in my area)

Upgrading to Fibre extra won't make any difference to your speeds if they are already less than 40Mb downstream. At that speed it is being limited by the distance to your cabinet.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.