cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vectoring Update

Melancholie
Grafter

Re: Vectoring Update

Director level management in BT Group also seem under the impression that vectoring is still in pilot phase too but, hey, what would the people managing the vectoring project and their bosses know?
Hi all by the way.
GeordieMark
Grafter

Hey Igni  Grin
So basically this isn't rolling out at all? (other than the pilots / trials)
danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

The situation appears to be as clear as mud.
There are known issues with VDSL2 slowing down due to interference and or crosstalk, copper wires and distance from the cabinet all play their part to slow things down.
We can be thankful that FTTC rollout is well-advanced, but I would have expected the flaws to have been realised way back and effective solutions planned. Other's abroad seem to have bitten the bullet sometime back, whilst we play catch-up. I can remember when it was the UK setting the pace with technology and showing how to achieve the seemingly impossible. Maybe funding research at some of our universities could put us nearer the front, if not leading?
Having come up with solutions I'm sure we could get Far-Eastern corporations to make the equipment for us.
Melancholie
Grafter

Quote from: Mark_
So basically this isn't rolling out at all? (other than the pilots / trials)

There are plans but nothing confirmed as far as BT's product management and leadership are aware.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Is there any clarity regarding Vectoring on BDUK cabs
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

I just walking bypass cabinet and saw openreach engineers (there are about 7 of them with two vans) with a grey boxes (new line card) installed. I asked the guys are vectoring going to be roll out? The guys was surprise me saying "This the vectoring we going to addition on the cabinet soon, very soon".
So, it all seem true.
Melancholie
Grafter

Unsure if there could be a less reliable source, however I will ask the vectoring programme manager if Cuckoo Oak is being enabled.
Or you can retract the statement and save everyone's time if untrue.
Given the uptake on your cabinet it would be a VERY strange choice for deployment.
AndyH
Grafter

Openreach must have forgotten to publish the PEW/EEWs for this 'vectoring rollout'  Embarrassed
Melancholie
Grafter

Well they forgot to tell the guy in charge of the NGA programme about it, so anything is possible.
Melancholie
Grafter

Quote from: goldenfibre
I just walking bypass cabinet and saw openreach engineers (there are about 7 of them with two vans) with a grey boxes (new line card) installed. I asked the guys are vectoring going to be roll out? The guys was surprise me saying "This the vectoring we going to addition on the cabinet soon, very soon".

Right, with a couple of swift emails I can very quickly call BS on this.
Firstly 2 vans holding 'about 7' engineers?
Secondly 'about 7' engineers for a line card install? I've seen them done, they involved 2 guys one of whom was a contractor.
Thirdly the pilot installs all involved 2 lots of downtime. One for vector engine install and another for software changes to activate the vectoring engine. They aren't just going to start doing this in the middle of the day without informing CPs.
Fourthly the man who would be responsible for NGA knows nothing about expanding the vectoring pilot, and as of last week the man running the vectoring pilot didn't either.
*Sigh*
chrcoluk
Grafter

yeah when I caught 2 guys doing something to my cabinet after my vdsl lost sync one night, it was during dusk and just 2 guys not 7.
Also they wouldnt tell me what they were doing which is expected really.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

The 2 guys was at the cabinet and other five guys was pulled the cable on the bottom public footpath.  Forget to add that. 
Melancholie
Grafter

Ya, funny how you forgot that part. Real bummer you apparently forgot your smartphone so couldn't take pictures.
Not sure if 5 people would be necessary to run a cable. Incidentally most cabling isn't done by Openreach but contractors. Strange you forgot that part too.
Vectoring doesn't require any additional cable with one exception and that doesn't apply to anything on the Cuckoo Oak exchange.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Last year I took photo of openreach engineer pulled up fibre cable there was 5 of them honestly.  If you don't believe me then I suggest u go elsewhere to keep your mouth shut as you seem personal accused me for no reason.
Melancholie
Grafter

If there were 5 guys they were deploying ducting, not fibre. Fibre is done separately and later and is blown, not pulled. That does require a larger team due to the need to get the ducting over a large distance and the size of the ducting. A somewhat larger distance than from the new cabinet to the footpath.
I'm sure looking back on your posting history here and, especially, elsewhere, you'll be able to forgive me some cynicism.
I'm more than happy to link a whole series of whoppers you've told online if you'd like Mr adslmax / telfordcable / bulldog147 so let's have less of the indignation. I doubt you're familiar with the expression but protesting too much isn't usually a good sign of truthfulness.
EDIT: To fix issue with grammar and clarify a point.